Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got a didgeridoo!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ryan Berry, Dec 21, 2002.

1. I've wanted one of these for a while and its sooooo much fun. I got the basic droning down pretty ok and i can make some cool sounds. Anyone else play didge?
    [​IMG]

2. [​IMG]

3. now you can show off to all your friends:D :p

i wish i had one:(

4. i want one. i tried one at king richard's fair once; some hippie tried to teach me. i can't get the circular breathing thing down (no, not like kenny g)
    cool, man. have fun; those things rule.

5. yeah, i cant cant a hang of the circular breathing either, but you dont need to know it as long as you dont just want to drone on and on. Right now im making monkey noises and scaring my cats.;)

6. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    [​IMG]

wow, i've never seen an electric dig before!

:D

f

7. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    A friend plays in a latin-funk band, and the singer plays a didgeridoo on some songs, really cool stuff.

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    That's a beautiful instrument. I've got a recording project next year with a didge player, me on DB; should be interesting.

9. nice, man, nice. how much do you think i could get a cheap one for?

10. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
  11. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    dude, you got ripped off! its got a bend in it! thatll never work!

:rolleyes:

;)

12. You can make one out of PVC pipe for next to nothing. Just cut it to about 42 inches for a key of E (you can look up others, but thats all i remember) and get some beeswax. melt the beeswax and dip the end of the didge in it to form a mouthpeice. These of course dont sound exactly like an authentic didgeridoo, but they sound pretty good. I might make a few myself so i can have a few keys.

13. then i can say i've made TWO things from pvc pipe!:p

14. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I love playing the didg. I have a bamboo one, and a few PVCs, and my sister has an authentic termite-bored eucalyptus one. I actually like the sound of the PVC one better than the eucalyptus one, and it certainly is lighter and easier to play.

You don't havehave to learn circular breathing to have fun, but it is definitely worth it. It took me a long time, but it is so cool to be able to drone on endlessly. Very meditative...

A couple of years ago, I played a CD release party and played my fretless 5 with my left hand by hammering on, and held a didge with my right hand. It was fun, but I got a little carried away and thought I was going to pass out. :(

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I make them outta PVC also. I think they sound pretty darn good. I don't do the beeswax thing because I personally don't care for the feeling it leaves on your mouth. I actually buy a little PVC adaptor end that brings it down smaller than the actual tube. That makes it easier to play..I think my mouth is kind of small or something.

I can do the circular breathing with some success. It takes some patience but I think it's not that hard to get it down with practice. Just breathe in as fast and as much as you can through your nose while your blowing out the air in your cheeks. You won't be able to take in these long breaths at first...just keep taking deep small breaths often.

That's my two cents.

brad cook

16. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    DigMe, you're right about the circular breathing and taking little breaths. When I was first trying to learn, I thought I should be able to take big breaths, but I learned to take little "baby" breaths in rhythm. I still get light-headed now and then....:D

17. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    I made a PVC didj.

I just learned how to "circular breathe" today. At one time, I kept the drone going for about an hour.

Addicting...

Must... make... more...

18. that looks cool man its always good to have skills on things peeople dont expect.

forgive my ignorance, but can one play all 12 notes on it?..by kinda singing the note into it? or does it just make whatever noise it wants?

i really dont know :meh:

19. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    The main thing you can do is affect the tone. Kind of like how singing the same note can change from an R sound to an E sound just by shifting the shape of your mouth.

There are a large variety of techniques. One is vocalizing. High pitched squeels come through while low tones kinda get lost in the drone, yet can add color.

One didj is tuned to one key. The members of Big Blow and the Bushwackers have gotten around this by combining a trombone feature into the design of some of their didjs. Others are made like telescopes. Their main didj player, Tim Whittemore, is probably the most reknowned non-Aussie didj player in North America. For a good introduction to the application of Didj to Western music, check out Tim's solo album called "Liquid Didj"

It's simple design really challenges your creativity.

A guitar player at work said, "So, it's just a hollow tube?" :meh:
    I said, "Yep, just like your guitar is just six strings." :D

20. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    i just made myself a pvc didge. It's awesome. I need to melt the wax better, though. here's a site that gives you the math to make your own. My first is tuned to a PERFECT C. I couln't believe it. I checked it with my chromatic tuner, and with the natural tone my lips produced, it was dead on. Pretty sweet. The problem with really low ones is that they get so long.