Got a Fender Bassman 150 1x12 !

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by superfly, Jun 1, 2005.

1. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    I just picked up one of the newer Fender Bassman 150 1x12. 150 watts.
    I must say it is a nice little unit.
    Right off the bat I noticed the famous Fender warmth.
    Plenty of power for practicing and small gigging.
    Nice thump from the 12" speaker. It seems to be built well with no comparison to the cheaper Rumble series, or even the previous Bassman Combo series with the black face. This unit blows em both away.
    This is nice quality with the aluminum face lookng great, like the Pro series.
    Plenty of tone variations, and the compression is nice. i can sell my Digitech bass squeeze now, and plug straight in.
    And wow! no rattling from the chassis!

I can't say enough about the nice sound. It sounds high end, not cheap. Warm, thumpy, full and bigger than you would think a 12" sounds. It rattles my walls just like the 15" combos did.

The only quirk is the cd input. When I plug in the headphones it mutes the bass signal from the speaker, but the cd still feeds through the speaker. I called Fender already about this and they said it was one of those quirky things they didn't work out. Was I fed a line of bull? Even on the cheaper models the cd gets cut from the speaker. I'm gonna call them again and ask again.

I love the amp so far!
  2. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Cool review. I'm keen on the 10" combo. On your amp, is there an output for an extra speaker? That would seal the deal for me.
  3. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    No xtra speaker output. Bummer!
    But the internal speaker unplugs from the head if you want to power a different cabinet.

For less than $100 more you can get the 12" 150 instead of the 10" 100.
  4. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Yeah, but with that I get an extra 15 pounds, too. I'm a weak guy.
  5. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I came this close to buying one of the 150s on the spot when I tried one out a couple of days ago. For the money it's a great little combo!
    The biggest difference I found between the 100 and the 150 was the tweeter. The tweeter in the 150 is much better sounding and of course, the 12" handled the lows much better too. Surprisingly good tone! Really light weight too.

Great call!
  6. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    My joy has been short lived!

I have to take it back because the headphone speaker mute stopped working.

I plug in a set of phones and the speaker doesn't mute.
    Hmmm seems like maybe it also has something to do with the cd not muting in the speaker either!

They will probably have to order me another one.
    Bummer! It sounds so good!
  7. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Took it back, they are gonna order me another one and I get to keep this one until the other comes in!
    Should I do alittle "experimenting" on this one and see what its limits are? ;)
  8. ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    mos def. i know i would.
  9. heh Don't destroy it, they might blame the headphone thing on you if you give them back something that appears to be abused. I know on the previous bassman combos (the 400 at least) it was pretty common to see blown speakers.
  10. gir

Mar 14, 2003
    Don't know if its the same but the manual for the 100 stated that the speaker had to be unplugged to use only the headphones. I thought mine was broke.
  11. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    yesterday it worked as it should . Plug the headphones in and the speaker gets muted. Today it doesn't mute.

How come they can get this to work on the cheaper rumble series?
    Its sounds weird to have to unplug the speaker for the "silent practice" function to work.
  12. Damn you got me so excited with this, sounds perfect but I'd want an extension 12.