1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Got a free amp and cab today

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jaymo, May 14, 2019.

1. Jaymo

Jaymo

Jul 7, 2017
    One of my customers gave me this Gibson Thor and Mitchell BG-410 today.
    Need the Tolex and grille cloth replaced, but they were free. Supposedly, they both work.
    upload_2019-5-14_22-36-11.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    beans-on-toast likes this.
  2. Jaymo

Jaymo

Jul 7, 2017
    Because my iPad is being a pain.
    upload_2019-5-14_22-46-57.

Attached Files:

3. Jaymo

Jaymo

Jul 7, 2017
    The amp.
    Ok, I put a pic here, but it's not showing up.
    The iPad is misbehaving tonight.
    Anyway, let's try something else.
    There doesn't seem to be a lot of info available online about either of these two items. Opinions do seem to vary, widely, about the solid state Thor.
    Does anyone know of any mods that can be done to the Thor, to improve the sound?
    I don't know if a simple speaker swap would do it, of if it's more a matter of components in the circuit. I'm open to either.
    Guess I should try it out before jumping to conclusions.
    View attachment 3416729

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Qlanq, 1bassplayinfool and MCF like this.
  4. Downlowsince81

Downlowsince81

Mar 15, 2019
    Very nice giveaway from your customer! I know the speakers inside the Gibson Thor solid state are Jensen. I would definitely look into the Gibson forums to see what a good replacement speaker would be. I have a Gibson Thor with the original speakers still intact from my grandfather who passed away. The amp sounds absolutely fantastic to me & 20190516_002334. 20190515_223922. has that classic low end that pairs nicely with the Gibson EB3/SG. Flatwounds and a mudbucker sound is warm and low with the Thor, with the reliability of the solid state. The power won't compete with today's big rigs or yester years tube amps, but it has a sweet spot 4 coffee shops, or band practice. My grandfather's used the Gibson Thor bass amp every week at his church for over 20 years! They don't make them like they used to!

GrooverMcTube and Jaymo like this.
  5. Jaymo

Jaymo

Jul 7, 2017
    Beautiful pair of basses and amps you have there.
    I've noticed the opinions of this amp range from "great" to "terrible".
    Putting all objective reasoning aside, I'll just have to try it out and see how it sounds to me.
    I'll check over on the Gibson forums for replacement speaker opinions. Thanks for the recommendation.
    Realistically, a 50 watt solid state 2-10 bass amp is PLENTY for me.
    My Crate BT50 is 50 watts through a single 12 and it's LOUD. Not loud for playing stadium gigs, but loud for inside a house.
    I think the great thing about it being an early solid state amp, is the components being larger and easier to solder/desolder. Transistors can always be swapped out for more/less gain, and capacitor values can be changed to color the output. If one desires, that is.
    I'm not going to pick up the soldering iron, unless the amp either doesn't work, or it just sounds terrible to my ears.
    Even if I don't like the sound at first, I'll try it with my guitars and see if it's magic with one of them.
    Speaker replacement would definitely be the first step toward changing the tone.

6. Jaymo

Jaymo

Jul 7, 2017
    Can you tell me what the two different "On" positions of the power switch are for? I haven't found anything that explains that and it has me confused.

Also, since my picture seems to have gone bye-bye, my Thor looks exactly like yours, only more road worn.

7. I wonder if it is for a rare transformer output stage on a SS amp? You better keep a cab plugged in while testing it until you find out.

8. The two different "On" positions may be for reversing polarity.

jbybj likes this.
  9. Jaymo

Jaymo

Jul 7, 2017
    What would be the purpose and/or effect of either of these?
    Not being a smarta**. I honestly don't know, and I want to learn.
    Thanks.

10. If there was an electrical hum in one position you would flip the switch. It reverses the polarity of the incoming power.

Jaymo likes this.
  11. Jaymo

Jaymo

Jul 7, 2017
    That actually makes sense.
    Thanks for the reply.

I guess I could pull the chassis and trace the wiring from the switch.
    That would make too much sense, though. Right?

12. A transformer output stage is what tube amps have. A very few SS amps also have them so can't be a lot of advantages in the case of SS. Basically it turns a high voltage low current signal from the previous stages into lower voltage higher current that is what the speaker needs.