Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got a gig coming up!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by villakid 93, Feb 14, 2006.

1. villakid 93

villakid 93 Guest

Dec 27, 2005
    Swayfield, Grantham
    Got a gig coming up any tips to stay cool under pressure etc?

2. Yoga. Buddhisim. Carrots. Knowing your lines pat helps a good deal too.

3. I've never played in a gig but talking to your audience before the gig and being friendly to them would help I guess

4. villakid 93

villakid 93 Guest

Dec 27, 2005
    Swayfield, Grantham
    It's at my school in a kinda X-Factor thing

5. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Sunglasses. Put on the shades and become a rockstar.

6. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    1) The audience is just people, same as you (doubly true if it's a school thing). They're there to have a good time, same as you. The only difference is they're listening and you're playing. So rock on, and enjoy yourself! :)

2) If you play music by yourself there's nobody (other than you) to enjoy it. If an audience gets together with no one to watch/listen to, it's a waste. Something like this is a team effort -- it takes you and them both to make it happen. So, you're really all there working together for the same thing: having a good time. (Which goes back to #1.)

Best of luck. Have fun!

'rick

7. villakid 93

villakid 93 Guest

Dec 27, 2005
    Swayfield, Grantham
    Cheers for your help, what happens if I screw up everyone would laugh for ages!!!

8. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Laugh right along with 'em! :D

Seriously: First, you're gonna screw up. Maybe not this gig, but you will, eventually. So don't sweat it... just do the best you can. A slip here and there isn't worth worrying about.

Second, you might be the only one who even realizes you screwed up. We're usually more critical of ourselves than the audiences are. Remember, they're just there to have a good time!

Third, if you screw up badly enough that they notice, and they rib you about it, you have a couple of options. Like I said above, you can laugh right along with 'em. Make it no big deal (and it's not a big deal). Joke about it, don't let it bother you, and it'll evaporate quickly enough. And you'll get it right next time. :D

How long did you play? Five, ten, fifteen minutes? How long did the mistake(s) last? Five, ten, fifteen seconds? If you overwhelmingly played fine, don't sweat the small stuff.

You can try to use that old, "If you screw up, do it again to prove you meant it" thing. If you play some weird-wrong run during a song, when the next verse comes around, try to play exactly the same run again. They'll think you're doing it intentionally to be jazzy or something. :) This can be tricky but sometimes it actually works!

Or, look at it this way: You're up there trying to do your best for their entertainment, and you screwed up. Now some jokers are giving you grief over it? After you went to all the effort of practicing, obtaining and hauling equipment, etc? Doesn't say much about them, does it? I don't see them investing the time and money and effort to get up there and do what you did, do you? Why should the opinion of somebody like that even matter to you? Like a wise friend says, "Don't let the jerks do that to your chain." :p

Trust yourself. You'll do great.

Let us know how it goes, eh?

'rick

9. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    It won't happen. If you make a mistake just keep playing.

I've been performing on bass for 16 years, and I still make mistakes. You just keep playing and no one ever notices. Even if you're playing the wrong note, you never more than a half step away from the right one. Just keep in time and everything will work. If people notice and ask you "hey, did you mess up?" say, "no, I was just improvising".

After playing in front of you school mates you'll be a rockstar. Make sure to pick up on all the ladies that will now think you're the coolest.

Good Luck!

10. villakid 93

villakid 93 Guest

Dec 27, 2005
    Swayfield, Grantham
    Cheers mate that really went into my brain :) I will take all of that in favour and eh, if someone takes the micky i'll just say " if you think your betta, you go up there and do it"

11. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    The best thing you can do for yourself is know the material. Make sure your band is well rehearsed and that way everything is automatic and nothing can go wrong...ever.:D

Also make sure whatever equipment you are using is working properly. Leaving nothing to chance will make the gig fun and that is what this is all about.
    If you are worried about stuff you will not have a good time.

Good luck!!:hyper:

12. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

how bad you are, csomeone will always like it/you

No matter how good you are someone wlii not like it/you

Being well prpared helps.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

13. villakid 93

villakid 93 Guest

Dec 27, 2005
    Swayfield, Grantham
    Dats y I joined the forum TBers looking out for TBers :)

14. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    In addition to being a bassist, I'm act in plays. The problem is that I'm terribly shy, so what I do is I don't look at the audience. Rather I look in the direction of the audience, usually looking over their heads at the back wall or something.

15. RyansDad

RyansDad

Jan 31, 2006
    Tolland, CT
    Like everyone said, be prepared (i.e. practice a lot).

That being said, be prepared to screw up. It happens. I messed up at my last show. It will probably happen again. We all make mistakes, but the audience usually won't notice. I have played shows where our entire band was a train wreck, yet afterwards, people said "You guys rock!"

The best advice I can give, though, is HAVE FUN. If you play well, enjoy it. If you don't play well, laugh about it. If you are relaxed, you will play better. Just go out there and have a great time. Let the chips fall where they may and you will enjoy yourself more.

Knock 'em dead!

16. RyansDad

RyansDad

Jan 31, 2006
    Tolland, CT
    One more thing: Don't get trashed/loaded/drunk/stoned/[insert other slang term for 'inebriated' here] before the show!

:scowl: :scowl: :scowl: :scowl: :scowl: :scowl: :scowl:

Unless you are an amazing bass player, your playing is not going to get better if you're loaded. Most likely, it will get worse. :crying:

17. +1

18. villakid 93

villakid 93 Guest

Dec 27, 2005
    Swayfield, Grantham
    I am only 12 BTW

19. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I like the pressure of a live gig. It makes me play better. Make sure you know all your stuff and you are confident with it, or else you will be very nervous and you will probably be shaking.

20. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    As Data from Star Trek once said: "The crowd was oblivious to the subtle nuances in the performance"

Even if you mess up, most people won't even notice. Proof: most people think I'm an awesome bassist! :eyebrow: