Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

got a gig tomorrow and not sure what to solo

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Rafterman, Feb 6, 2002.

1. tomorrow i got a small gig at school and we are playing Oleo.

I have a 32 bar solo and am not sure what chord to use to solo over. I am not that experienced in soloing but i can do it. It's just that i'm not too sure what to solo over.

the song is in Bb, and the rest of the chords are m7, b6, and m6 galore. Can anyone help me out?!...i need tips on what to solo.

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    PROCRASTIMAN,

"Oleo" is a tune based on the chord changes to "I Got Rhythm", which, along with blues, is one of the most common jazz progressions. You want to learn to blow on rhythm changes by tomorrow??? Man, that's a tall order. And I'm talking Manute Bol here....

The best you can hope to do by then is to be somewhat near the ballpark, and even then you'll be swinging the bat blindfolded, but here goes:

The tune is 32 bar AABA form, which means that the first 8 bars are repeated a total of three times each chorus. Most of these 8 bars are made up of turnarounds in Bb, but there is a definite movement to Eb in bar 6 of the phrase. So, for bare bones ballpark stuff, you could play

Bars 1-5 - Bb Major
    Bar 6 - Eb Major or Eb7
    Bars 7 and 8 - Bb Major

On the Bridge, the simplest changes to play are:

D7, G7, C7, F7 (two bars apiece)

Try using these sounds and do your best, and chalk the whole experience up to "paying dues". People spend many years trying to learn how to blow over Ryhthm Changes, so look at tomorrow as day 1 and don't jump off a bridge if you don't sound like Mingus at the gig.

Good luck, and maybe think about addressing these issues a little sooner than the day before the gig next time, okay?

DURRLY GILLESPIE

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    man..I hate to be the one to tell you this, especially after my DURRLFRIEND tried so hard but... DUDE - you're screwed!

4. dude, you guys talk to me like I know nothing...

i can walk this whole song all the way through!!...

n/m though, i know what to do, i guess i phrased the question wrong?

i guess the question i should've asked couldn't be answered here.

i'll let you guys know how it went tomorrow.

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Extra points for relevance. It's one thing to slam a name, but for it to be apropos of the post, well that's major league territory boys. Take note.

I'm a little confused by what you meant myself Rafterman. If Hurl's post was to basic, what did you mean?

On a side note, maybe you guys can help me. Joshua Redmon is in town tomorrow, and he called me tonight saying he wants me to show up to the gig tomorrow. He's doing some old bebop stuff. He said he wanted me to be the featured soloist on some tune called "Cherry Key" or "Hairy Flea" or "Cherokee" or something or another. He's doing it in Db and wants to take it, "up tempo" as he says. What should I do?

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

SLAPMO',

Duh! The tune Josh is talking about is "Bare@$$ed Flea" by the TUBE SOCK WILLIE PACKERZ, and it :)RuLeZ!!!!!

Not to worry though....I'lL sEnD yOu SuM tAbZ 2mOrRoW tHaT sHoOd TaKe CaRe Of Ur PrObLeM 4U. :)

CU L8r,

ANTHONY KEYDURRL

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Wasn't she though? Looking back on it, it seems like not only the most hoppining frogs but also many other species of pond life made at least a perfunctory stop at her lily pad on their way to the fishing hole. What a hang that must have been...

8. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Okay RED PUPAE, so can I just solo over a C blues scale for the whole thing and be cool. I've got this monster lick that I stole from FLeA that I want to put in there. I think J-Dog (as us in the know call him), would love it.

9. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Well, the gig's in an hour, so I was going to go grab some lunch, and then maybe practice a little, if I have time. I might not have time cause Seinfeld is coming on, but whatever. Do you think I should bring my gear? Well, that's a stupid question, they probably have stuff for me. Yeah. Yeah, they have everything for me.

10. i'm sorry if i caused any confusion, but i guess Chris Fitzgerald helped me out. I now know what to solo over, i guess i just wanted to solo like Jaco...:rolleyes: i have a few ideas now.

11. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I've played that tune exactly once and wasn't too thrilled about it. But that may have had something to do with the fact the leader on the gig (who also called the tune and produced the chart) had terrible time and didn't know it. So, to answer your question, YES, I'd love a copy. But wait until I get all of that stuff done that I still owe you.

Ahmad Jamal has a great version of it in which the A sections are in a burning four feel while the bridge does a metric modulation to a slow waltz feel. Sounds easy until you try it and discover that everyone's metric modulation comes out the other side of the wormhole at slightly different speeds. Great fun.

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Hmmm...bizarre thread - my view as a neutral is that the "I know nothing" comment sounds closer to the truth! ;)

13. UP A CREEK WITHOUT A PADDLE- something I do when I learn a tune is start with the melody. If you know the melody of a tune it makes it harder to get lost and you can use it when soloing as a springboard for other ideas.

14. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    If you're solid at walking the changes, i.e. improvising, what really changes when it's your turn to be featured? That changes don't change. You could play through the changes and sound right, it may be a little boring or maybe not depending on the rhythmic embellishments that you use.

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I don't think it's worth anybody actually replying to the question - in the first place it was meaningless as far as I can see :"i need tips on what to solo." - what does this actually mean?

Secondly, the questioner has replied rather sarcastically that he now knows "what to solo over"!

Sometimes you just think it's all a waste of time......there's certainly very little incentive to help, when you get results like this! :rolleyes:

16. yeah, i guess what i was asking was pretty vague.

But the "gig" went great. I call it a "gig" because it probably isnt considered a gig, the school just asked us to play for an awards ceremony. We werent a background floorshow band, though. We actually played a few songs while the audience "watched"...:rolleyes:...:D

17. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    but how did the solo go? :D :rolleyes:

18. bassandlax

bassandlax

Dec 31, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    how did it go...?

19. the solo went well...sorry for not responding right away. I can't remember what I did exactly, but I do remember that i was comin up with some cool melodies out of it. Everyone clapped for my solo, they didn't clap for my other bandmates' solos.

overall the "gig" went great.

And another thing...yo Ed Fuqua, you really need to learn to lighten up, the way you talk, you sound like you know everything. I'm 100% sure that you do not know everything. So next time, relax!...You'll live longer.

20. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Actually, I think he might......