Got a Hartke 2000 head, need a worthy cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zirc, Jun 5, 2001.

1. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    My question is, what kinda cabinet should I get to go along with my Hartke 2000 amp head? Right now I'm using the head with 2 Cerwin Vega 152s (PA speakers with bass, it doesn't work too well), and I'm going to need to get a cab that can actually play well at higher volumes (the vegas start fuzzing when I turn up the volume cuz they can't handle all the bass, after all they are PA speakers).

I've been looking around and here's what I've seen that intrests me, keep in mind the Hartke amp head is only 200W

Fender Bassman 4x10 cab, 300W - $369 (I like that price)
    SWR Workingman's 4x10 cab, 400W - $599 (a bit pricey, but if it's worth it, it's worth it)

I know these aren't all the cabs, so I'm looking forward to hearing some suggestions as well as responses to what's listed.

So basically I'm asking your guys opinions on which cab would sound the best with my amp head, look forward to hearing your responses.
  2. First off id say take a look at the obvious-Hartke. (Very reasonable prices too) I'd say you could also check out GK stuff(although i think its usually a bit pricey), and maybe eden, carvin...just try any and everything.....(Im thinking about getting a hartke 4x10 transporter series cab, and maybe a hartke 3000
  3. Eloiam

Jun 26, 2000
    Don't forget Genz Benz. I don't have any experience with the Hartke heads, but I've got a 250W Trace Elliot running into a GB 4X10+horn cabinet and have gotten some very nice sounds. For the price, I'd give them a look....

4. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Noooo, can't get a Hartke 410TP, I've heard horrible things about em, even the guys at my local music store say the life on them is like nothing. They say they get them in all the time to replace the cones which costs about as much as the cab itself.

He said the fender had a very good lifetime though.
  5. Depending on what sound you want, I'd go for the SWR. Personally I dig Ampeg above everything else.
  6. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    I know it's a roll of the dice sometimes, but maybe looked at used cabinets. I found my Hartke 410XL for $275 and I love it. It was in great shape, and I've had it for 3 years now with zero problems, of course YMMV. I also agree about the TP series. To me, there is a large difference in sound and quality. I would think that you should be able to find a quality used cab for about the same range as a new Hartke TP, and IMO you would be happier down the road. My 0.02 (USD) worth. :)
  7. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I have the same exact head that you do and I run it thru a Carvin RL 4x10 T Redeye enclosure. Its a 600 watt @ 8 ohm cab, so it has more than enough power handling capabilities, and imo these cabs sound very good. Nice rich, deep, warm lows, very crisp highs, and great cutting mids. Excellent price too. Only $429 after shipping. Id recomend them to anyone, and imo, these cabs sound just as good as Ampeg and SWR cabs. However youd only be running 120 watts into it from your head, you wouldnt be pushing the full 200 watts. But this has not been a problem for me, Ive had no problems with this set up at medium size gigs. I thought at one time I had a clipping problem but it turned out that it was the tube gassing. Replaced the tube and have had no problems since. The Carvin 4x10 is also very light compared to most other 4x10's out there, only 70 lbs, so its not a back breaker.
  8. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    why not a carvin 2x10? its 4 ohm, so you could run 200 watts into it, 50 lbs, so its light, and great sounding.

why did you only list 4x10s?
  9. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    In my opinion 2x10 cabs, dont have the depth and fullness that a 4x10 does. You can also get louder with a 4x10 than a 2x10 if need be. They also get more bottom end than 2x10. Carvin's 4x10 is only $100 more than the 2x10 so Its also a better buy. About being able to run the full 200 watts, again Ive played medium size gigs and many a jam session with it and have always had adaquate volume @ the 120 watts.