1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Got a little problem with Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Michel Leclair, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Michel Leclair

Michel Leclair

Jul 15, 2019
    On july 1st I have purchased a Squier Vintage modified Jaguar bass short scale and was looking at it everyday on Fender's website

I was suspicious about the store I have bought it from because everybody else was showing it as being unavailable, and that store (Tundra music) was not answering my e-mails, did not return my call and I was unable to log in my account...

So I sent an e-mail to Fender and asked them if the guitar was discontinued anf in fact it was...but they were still showing it on there website

I got a refund from Tundra music via Paypal, and Fender finaly removed the complete line (3 guitars) of Squier Jaguar bass on July 12 from there website

But what I am really angry at is the fact that Fender denied the whole thing. The guy from Fender asked me the last time I have seen the guitar on there website because he claimed he was not seeing it and that web page was right in my face, so I have printed 3 pages, made PDF's of them and e-mail him back those pages which were showing the date, the Fender path from the web page, pictures of the guitar, etc..

He never got back to me, I have the complete conversation and a total of 8 pages that I have printed from Fender's website on july 12th to prove that it was on there website until that date

They never gave me any credit for helping them keep there website up to date,
    I have tried to figure out for how long it was discontinued, looks like a few months ago

Many other companies would have thanked me but not Fender, all they did is take the information, removed the Squier Jaguar basses from there website and acted like it never happened, I have attached 3 pages of pdf's of the guitar, hope you can see them

So I was in the process of buying a Fender but it is gonna end up being an Ibanez

By the way this is my first time on a forum, hope i have made it right

Attached Files:

outoftune, Yonni, Charlzm and 3 others like this.
  2. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Lebanon, TN
    Yeah, people do that. Get used to it.

3. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    While a thank you would certainly be nice (I wonder if you may still receive a response as it doesn't seem like it's been that long since the last communication), expecting a credit of some sort for this type of find I think is a bit of a stretch.

Just my personal take.

Oh, and welcome to Talkbass!!!

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Fender's website has always been inaccurate. They don't care. The guy answering the phones doesn't care. I'd say you should have a problem with the website from which you bought it but they gave you your money back. No harm no foul.

SLO Surfer, jackn1202, ruju and 15 others like this.
  5. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    Not clear about the problem, and steering clear of a fantastic bass because some rep at Fender didn't respond or give you credit or thanks or whatever seems a bit impulsive. I mean, you got your refund and all.

6. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    If you think an entity like Fender will thank you for keeping them on the straight & narrow...then good luck!
    Any kind of thanks from the guilty party would be admission of guilt...so it never happened and you’re just a loon. Your .pdf’s and 8 pages of email are a hoax. Now go buy one of the Elite’s.

{in order to CMA, I must state that the above was written in a satirical tone. I, in any way, shape, or form, DO NOT condone ignorance of guilt, labeling, or hoaxes}

sears, JeffJ2112, Yonni and 4 others like this.
  7. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Tundra eh?..

8. Michel Leclair

Michel Leclair

Jul 15, 2019
    I have to agree to what you said, it is exaclty the way they did. But he point is that if you remove a product from the market the first thing to do is to remove the ads, who knows when they discontinued the Squier Jaguar bass, how many months or even years...for what there is about the guitar, the Ibanez TMB30 will do the trick

Justinian likes this.
  9. Michel Leclair

Michel Leclair

Jul 15, 2019
    About Tundra music, if you take a look at the customer reviews about that company you will read some nightmare stories about what some customers have been through with those guys...2 star rating

10. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    But they did right by you didn't they?

SLO Surfer, ruju, jackn1202 and 2 others like this.
  11. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Looks to me like it was just a product listing. Was there a price or a "buy" button on that page?

12. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    i've purchased from them with no issues. they have a few stores, and i think they are a bit slow with communication at times. that bass has been discontinued for quite some time i think (years?)

13. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    +1.

As a frame of reference, I once ordered a piece of gear from a major online retailer who showed the item on their website as "In stock and ready to ship." When I hadn't received a shipping confirmation within a week, I went back to the website: Status is "Backordered." Okay, fine. Called the retailer about two weeks later, asking " 'Sup?" The response was "Expected any day now, we'll let you know as soon as it's in our warehouse." Called the retailer again a month later; same response. Called the retailer two months later; same response. Starting to get suspicious, I decided to call the manufacturer directly. The guy there couldn't have been more polite, and led me to believe my merchandise was likely somewhere on a boat in the Pacific, packed deep within a shipping container, headed for the retailer's warehouse.

The truth? Model discontinued. I only waited 6+ months to learn the truth, and then had to fight with the retailer to get a refund check (versus a "store" credit). The experience definitely jaded my opinions of both the retailer and the manufacturer.

dmt, jackn1202, murphy and 4 others like this.
  14. Michel Leclair

Michel Leclair

Jul 15, 2019
    Tundra music did not answer my 2 e-mails, the manager was supposed to call me back and never did, the only reason I got my money back is because I have paid them with Paypal and used Paypal to put pressure on them for a refund. Otherwise I would still be waiting after a reply and a guitar, in a sense I was lucky to find out that it was discontinued

And yes there was a price and ''buy'' button on that page, that is how I purchased it

The only reason I bought from Tundra is because they were the only ones showing the guitar as being available, I knew nothing about them, they have a lot off stuff on there web site and are still showing the Squier Jaguar bass as available...

murphy and Yonni like this.
  15. Hurricane Jimmie

Hurricane Jimmie Supporting Member

So Anyway, the guy you spoke to at Fender probably wasn't authorized to say 'Thank You'... or acknowledge any error on their website. Corporate CYA.
    Many corporations farm out website work and don't/can't keep tabs on all the vendors that retail their product.
    Or maybe the guy at Fender was responsible and you just caught his oversight.
    Not sure of your bass inventory or how long you've been at it. But if you've never played a Fender (especially a P bass), I'd recommend you put this experience aside and try one out. They're a major part of our history and DNA.

dmt and TjMetalhead like this.
  16. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    That is a bit lame, but I wouldn't let it throw you off from getting that Jaguar if its what you want to play. They should be fairly easy to find for quite some time.
    That was one employee. A whole team was involved making the bass, and they were as let down as you were by the shabby responses.

Malak the Mad, Amano and Yonni like this.
  17. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    I was referring to the Fender page that you took the screenshot of. Maybe I'm misunderstanding. I'm assuming you purchased it through Tundra and not through the shop.fender.com site.

18. BtaylorTheRogue

BtaylorTheRogue

Nov 14, 2016
    That'll happen. Sucks it happened to you.

Of course, you're never gonna get credited for pointing out an oversight, at least, not past a 'thanks for pointing it out'.

Gratz on the ibanez. (opinions be here) Better basses for less money.

Michel Leclair likes this.
  19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You want credit for them removing a disco'd item on their website? LOL...

[​IMG]

dmt, jchrisk1, Texican and 17 others like this.
  20. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Yeah, I'm not seeing how Fender is at fault here. I think anyone who has follwed Fender and their web presence knows they are never up to date on their current models. Who you are actually buying from should be.

Nevada Pete likes this.