Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got a MIM, now returning it, but for what?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Destructo, Jan 5, 2006.

1. So, yeah. I got my MIM Jazz Bass. You know when someone says that when you order a MIM you get a hit or a miss? I got a miss.

Now that I'm getting my money back, I need help on what to buy. I loved the growly sound that I got from said Jazz Bass, and I love fretless-ness. I spent $450, so that's what I have to work with. Actually, I'm getting my money back instead of trading it in for something, so I can go a bit higher. $500 tops.

I saw my friend's new hollowbody Ibanez today and it was beautiful. Recommend any Ibanez's you've liked.

My local music stores have the worst selections. One store has three rows of basses (all Fender/Squier) and that's about it.

I'm sorry if you guys are tired of threads like these! :(

Thanks, in advance. :)

Edit:

Schecter Custom-4 The natural satin on this is beautiful.

This Ibanez caught my eye.

2. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    The new Yamaha BB414s are GREAT for P and J tone.
    Also a Lakland 4401 or 4402 would be very sweet also.

3. BasStefan

BasStefan Guest

i'd say spend 550 and get yourself a Geddy Lee Jazz. i got mine for $550 new.

4. Where?

God, I'd love that Lakland if I could afford it. That's beautiful.

5. schecter diamond series california custom series, look it up if you havnt seen it, beautiful, $500 on music123.com. and it's a jazz with EMG pickups and EMG preamp

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    MTD Kingston.

7. I´m confused here. You said you "got a miss", but you loved the sound of that MIM, right? So what was the problem? The setup, playability, looks? If you love the sound of Fender Jazz, why not look for a better one - maybe from that store that has only Fenders and Squiers? And do you want a fretless or not?

I´m not trying to flame you or anything, I just find your initial post a tad confusing and I think you will get better advice if these things are cleared.

8. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    You could buy a whole bunch of SX basses for that... lol...

9. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    http://www.basscentral.com/lakeland_usa/skyline_4401_4402.shtml

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219010&highlight=lakland

http://www.yamaha.com/guitars/produ...222%26CTID%3D600007%26CNTYP%3DPRODUCT,00.html

http://www.bassemporium.com/bass_emporium.php?Lakland

you could talk most of these stores down considerably...
    Also do a search on gbase.com
    Don't second guess Yamahas. I did and have regretted it years later. My BBN5A rivals every "custom" I have ever owned.

10. I loved the sound, but I didn't love the lack of quality. There was a shallow dent on the fretboard, gaps where the neck met the body. The plate that has the knobs didn't even cover up the hole where the electronics were all the way.

I just think I could get something better for my money with a similar sound.

I'd perfer fretless, but there's not many options out there. Frets are cool too.

11. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

If you like the sound, you may wish to try again.
    Last summer I got a hit on a an EBay MIM jazz, and all is well. I looked at and tried a spizillion MIM's and MIA's. Many of the MIA's were not jewels either. a few even had screws falling out of the bridge, No kidding. Only a couple were on par with the Laklands I tried. Fortunetly we have a lot of good stores and of course a "Whoa dude, look at all the guitars"
    The concept was to reward myself with a new bass when a a business transaction I was working was complete. Then I fell in love with Lacklands, the deal went to heck, so no Lakland. Got a wild hair and bid ona used MIM Jazz and now I have a consilation prize for experimenting with different strings and such.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

12. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    I got a hit with mine. ^_^
    I'd say wait a few weeks, save the extra $100 or so, and get yourself a lakland. You know it'll be awesome, and you know you'll like the sound. Whatcha got to lose?

13. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    the Ibanez you linked to is a nice bass. i played the 500, 700, and 705. the 7s are the neck-through ones. i had a 705, but i just returned it :crying: for another bass (Carvin, used) that cost me $100 less. i still think the Ibanez SRX series are a great line of basses. i can't compare them to the other basses that people are suggesting, but i can say that i like them a lot.

14. Wow, that´s pretty bad.

15. check out schecter C4. not alot of talk about them on here but there nice bass for 500 bucks. C5 for 550.

they remind me alot of a j bass. but that could just be me.

16. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    +1

There are a lot of great MIJ Jazz deals out there and IMHO they are as good as a USA made if you upgrade the electronics.

17. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Buy Used. You can get some really good quality basses for around $500-$700 or so.

Just a thought.

18. soholounge

soholounge

Aug 11, 2004
    Colorado
    personally...
    for $550, i would get the following basses before a MIM jazz.

mtd kingston
    yamaha bb414
    geddy lee (is this possible for under 6 bills?)
    ibanez srx
    (all previously mentioned)

that's for new prices.
    if we're talking used... there's a bunch of good ones.
    how about this one? you might have enough change left over for an SX.
    http://www.bassnw.com/Used Basses/yamaha_bbn5_black.htm

but if you really want that fender jazz sound, then the MIJ might be the way to go.