Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got a minute?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by XavierG, May 8, 2005.

1. I'm setting up website and need to know what the quality of the short audio clip that loads when the page opens is like on other systems. If you haven't got anything better to do, I'd greatly appreciate your feedback. (I'd appreciate it even more if you gave me some feedback inspite of having something better to do. :) )

HERE'S the link.

Thanks a mil !

2. Sounds good to me. It skipped a couple of times, but that could have been on my end. Nice tone and mwah on the fretless.

3. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    Sounds fine.

May I suggest a stop button. Some people (myself insluded) don't like when a webpage plays music unannounced.

4. Whoa, did you shave your goatee?

I also back up what Eli said.

5. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    What format is you music in?

When I click on the link I get a weird error in my browser saying I need to get a plug-in and then when I search for it I can't find it.

:eyebrow:

Joe.

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
  7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    +1.

No problems.

also, it stops when you hit stop on IE.

edit: I like the clip, sounds great.

My connection is a 6mbps cable, listening through sennheiser HD 280 pro's (family is asleep).

8. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Tried it in IE and Firefox. For both browsers, I have to disable my download manager to hear the clip instead of saving it to my HD. In Firefox, a "missing plugin" message appears, supposedly Apple Quicktime 6.5.1. I've seen this behavior in other websites. When I try to get the plugin, Firefox says "Not available". When trying manual installation, Firefox points to the Apple website for downloading the Quicktime standalone installer. I have QT 6.5.1 installed in my system, BTW. IE doesn't ask for any plugins. Cool clip! :cool:

9. Thanks, everyone. I was a bit worried when a friend emailed me and said it was distorted on his system.

FF - No, I did not shave my goatie.... just got tired of my old avatar so used the 1st decent pic I could find. That's me about 10 years ago.

The audio is in mp3 format so there really shouldn't be a problem with browsers playing it (should there?). I don't know what the "plug-in" issue that some of you guys are reporting is all about.

As for a "stop" button, and as Bliss says, you can click on your browser "stop" button to stop music files from playing at any time.

I guess I should have asked how long it takes to load for you guys.

Thanks again.

10. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Hmm...that's exactly the problem I am having.

How did you download it?

:D

Joe.

11. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    takes no time at all, but I have a fairly quick connection.

Xavier, I think firefox needs the full path to the file in the embed tag to work right.

12. I'll edit the source file now. Thanks, Josh!

later: Nope, Firefox still doesn't like it. I tried other sites that I know have mp3's embedded and IE works fine but Firefox wants a plugin.

13. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    That's great, I never knew that! :)

14. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Maybe try <object>?

<object type="audio/mpeg" data="filename.mp3">

</object>

15. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    It crawls on dialup. Nobody but your family is going to wait that long for a page to load.

Here's the rule of thumb for usability.

clear your browser cache so you're loading from the webserver.
    take a breath and hold it, then try to access the page.

WHEN YOU START TO FEEL LIKE YOU WANT TO TAKE A BREATH, THATS WHEN YOU START LOOSING PEOPLE.

The internet is a very "right now" medium. Noboby likes to wait for anything and they usually won't.