got a moses neck for my sterling!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Jan 20, 2002.

1. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    so i won that one that was on ebay last week, got it yesterday, put it together, and took it to a jam session last night.

holy crap.

the seller put on the auction details that it was drilled by roger sadowsky, but he neglected to put that the frets were also leveled/polished by the man himself.

the action? ridiculous. i put skinnier strings on it than my warwick because i want this as my slapping bass, and the neck is so straight and the frets so perfect that i can get LOW. i COULD get my warwick this low, but i play mostly fingerstyle stuff on it so i like having more resistance. the neck feels like a solid piece of ebony. very smooth and thin.
    the sound? incredible! haven't had a chance to play thru my REAL rig yet - but my initial impression is that this thing is gonna COOK. has some of the sterling sound left, plus lots of warwick style growl, and modulus snap.

bad points?

it's a sterling neck that looks like a jazz neck, so it's got the fender headstock and the heels don't line up.
    the tuners are in a little too far from the edge, so when turning they scrape against the headstock.
    and it's HEAVY. a bass that was once a comfy 9.5 lbs is now probably 11 or 12.

so my plans for it are to get straplocks and a big fatty strap for it, and then some really lightweight tuners. any suggestions?

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Awesome! Sounds great! When's the pic going to be in?

The weight of the neck is the only downside I've ever heard to Moses necks. Definitely the most hefty graphite neck I've ever seen.

For a strap, go with a comfort strapp. I'm surprised you don't have one already with the Warwicks! They're about $30-45 usually, depending on size and location. In case you've never seen one :)eek: ), they have a thick neoprene padding over your shoulder so it makes any basses feel like basically nothing. Great stuff, and you can get them at Guitar Center now. Bass NW and Bass Central have them, too.

Tuner? Hipshot ultralites! Why look at anything else? You can order them from or . Haven't checked who's prices are better, though.

Congrats again! :D
  3. p0w3rman5ooo

Aug 27, 2000
    Hey Warwick5S, still got your stock neck? Want to sell it? Email me at if you want.

BTW, will this neck fit on Stingrays?
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

He probably still has his stock neck, but it has been defretted and is starting to twist. That is why he bought the Moses replacement neck.
  5. p0w3rman5ooo

Aug 27, 2000
    Ahh, that makes sense, thanks anyways.
  6. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i may be interested in the neck anyway. if you're going to sell it pm me
  7. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    narud - you've got PM

the other sucky thing? the extra inch at the headstock means it won't fit in its nice hardshell case anymore!!! :( :( :(

but! that means when i get my 5 string fretless warwick, i'll use THAT for it's case, and buy a generic fender hardshell case for my musicman.

i'm still really enjoying this bass - i may have to run to the studio tonite and pick up my rack just to see how she sounds for real! i'm SO curious!