1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Got a neck today. Gap

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by magic8161, Aug 1, 2020.

1. magic8161

magic8161 Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Milwaukee
    Got a project going on here. Just got the new neck. I have a small gap between neck and body. Sides fit nice and tight. If I fill the neck holes I'll only gain a eight or so. Is it OK to leave this?

Attached Files:

2. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    No, that neck needs to butt against back of the neck pocket. Otherwise the scale length won't be correct and it will never play in tune.

Having a super tight neck fit isn't a necessarily a good thing. It causes finish cracks around the pocket as the wood expands & contracts and makes the neck screws work that much harder to pull the neck into the body. You want that fit to be tight enough so that the neck sits in the pocket properly and aligns easily without shifting around sideways. It should slide in with nothing more than light to medium grip pressure and slide out without snagging on the finish.

3. magic8161

Mar 4, 2003
    Milwaukee
    the neck fits great except for that small gap on the bottom.. sides are snug and everything else is good, i hate to take it to a luthier and spend the money. not sure what to do now.

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    With the screws removed, will the neck butt-up in the pocket?

Sides are snug = not good. You need a modicum of gap to accommodate wood expansion.

Riis

Reedt2000 likes this.
  5. Davey28

Davey28

Feb 19, 2015
    Gaylord, Mi.

Maybe one of your musician friends has the ability to help you? Either way, that should not be an expensive fix, and the bass will not play properly with that gap.

6. HG1180

HG1180

Aug 11, 2019
    Millsboro,DE
    You need to sand the sides of the neck down in order to accommodate wood expansion of the neck, a snug fit is almost a sure way to get neck pocket cracks. On top of this, scale length is a major factor even 1/16th of an inch away from what the scale needs to be can throw your bass way out of wack. Sanding down a neck is not hard, just tedious.

Start with a medium grit sandpaper and get it to the point where the neck fits all the way in the socket with the body all the way against the heel of the neck, make sure to leave just the smallest amount of wiggle room, not too much as to leave enough for expansion but tight enough to not move at all while youre playing/holding it, then move to a fine grit paper and sand a bit until it is very smooth but dont take any more wood off of the sides, a little sanding goes much longer than youd think.

Good luck!

7. magic8161

Mar 4, 2003
    Milwaukee
    why would i sand the sides? not sure i understand, the sides are fine nice and snug.

8. testing1two

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    The gap would indicate the neck does not fit great, just tight against the sides. What exactly is preventing the neck from fitting all the way into the pocket?

9. magic8161

Mar 4, 2003
    Milwaukee
    no almost but not all the way

10. magic8161

Mar 4, 2003
    Milwaukee
    when i say snug its like it should be on the sides easy in but just right

11. magic8161

Mar 4, 2003
    Milwaukee
    not tight just right. i think bottom of neck is round and pocket is straight. mabe?

12. testing1two

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    At this point it would be helpful to know what kind of neck and what kind of body you are trying to mate. Pictures of the neck heel and the pocket would be good too.

13. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    String the bass up and tune all strings to pitch. Then flip it over and loose all 4 neck bolts and let the strings pull it further into the pocket. Keep pressure on the neck and body and re-tighten the 2 neck bolts closest to the head-stock first. That will keep the neck angled correctly.

14. magic8161

Mar 4, 2003
    Milwaukee
    Not sure what kind of body

Attached Files:

15. testing1two

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    That's what I was afraid of. You have a neck and body that weren't meant to go together.

That body has a squared neck pocket that is designed for 50's telecaster style necks with square neck heels. All other Fender style necks (including your Mighty Mite neck) have rounded neck heels designed for rounded neck pockets. The same issue comes up when people try to put Strat necks on Tele bodies or vice versa.

That said your neck should still reach the back of the pocket even though it will only make contact in the center.

StratvsTeleHeel.jpg

neck-heel-strat-vs-tele.jpg

magic8161 likes this.
  16. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    If the scale is close enough to adjust the bridge saddles to proper intonation I don't see any reason it wouldn't work, it just looks funny. If I wanted a definitive answer as to what options are here, I'd ask @Turnaround :D

kodiakblair, 96tbird and lokikallas like this.
  17. testing1two

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    20200801_211359-jpg.jpg

Looking at this picture, some of the gap is explained. The pickguard doesn't match the shape of the heck heel. It's possible that your neck may be touching the wood of the neck pocket and what you're seeing is just the space between the pickguard and the neck heel.

20200801_193908-jpg.jpg

Shine a light down there and see if the neck is actually butted up against the end of the pocket.

lokikallas, magic8161 and gebass6 like this.
  18. Sand off all that clear from the pocket. Its not helping

19. You could just simply move the pickguard forward, if you think its fine the way it is though. Thats no big deal. As long as the pickup routes have a little bit of wiggle room.

20. magic8161

Mar 4, 2003
    Milwaukee
    It is not touching the bottom with current holes. But if I fill the holes and move it down and drill new holes it would touch. I may sell this neck and get the right one. But not sure where I can get the right one. All I see seem to have rounded bottoms