Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got a new bass. It's a real fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chasarms, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Well folks, I just pretty much blew the year's, maybe the next couple of year's budget for basses.

This is not the exact photo of mine, but rather the maker's site photo. It would be the one on the right.

[​IMG]

Figured if I am going to play fretless, I ought to play a real fretless. This is my first URB. I have played them off and on when special needs arise. I am not very good but do love to play them. A new learning experience will create some new sparks in me as a musician. I am excited. I might even snoop around over there at the dark side of this site. :)

I have been casted as a singing, bass playing ex-convict in a community spring dinner theater, so I figured I would bite the bullet and buy one.

I have tons of friends who would love to get together and pick and sing bluegrass and such, so this ought to come in handy to have around.

Oh, it is an Engelhardt ES-9.

2. Ciaran

Ciaran

Apr 4, 2001
    Ireland
    :eek:

sweet jesus they're some tasty basses!

the one on the left kinda looks like mine
    (except mine's darker.........and cheaper...and probably sounds much worse)

:)

3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Congratulations! That looks really nice. Dontcha just love theater!

-robert

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

So......you put this in "Bass Guitar" :confused:

Chas, with your cool tastes in electric basses, I thought from the thread title this would be some nice bass guitar you ordered.

Oh well, hope you're not the only one who can hear yourself ;)

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Thanks. I glad you think I have good taste. I actually was saving for a nice fretless five before I decided to buy this.

This will be the only post that I have over here about it. I just figured I would share the news with family before I wandered over to DB not knowing anyone.

Chas

6. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    Nice man, I've never played an upright/double bass. The only thing that I have is a real expensive NS Design CR-5M, its not mine but my friend who let me borrow it hasn't come back from California yet. So I don't know what to do with it. I don't like it at all, its fun to mess with but I can't get use to it so its sitting in its case collecting dust. Which reminds me, I'm gonna call that b*stard now!

have fun with that upright, it looks awesome!

7. You beat me to it. I've had an urge to get myself one of those for the past couple of months. Have started looking around in earnest as of a couple of weeks ago. I'm still considering an EUB (electric upright bass - for those of you who aren't hip to the lingo) though (portability issue). Seeing another toybasser jump into it gives me that much more incentive to nail one and bring it home. Enjoy your new DB. Looks good!

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

They're cool on that side, too, IME. But, post wherever it feels right, IMO.

Since you're in St. Lou, try to check out the bassist, Vince Corkery, in an old friend of mine's rockabilly band, The Orbits. (The friend is Bob Briedenbach - can play any damn thing with strings!) Vince puts holes in his fingers whappin' that doghouse!

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Fat-bottomed girls, you make the rockin' world go round

;)

10. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    X-man,

I really think you should get a real DB before you get an EUB. They never sound like the real thing, and you learn so much when you're trying to get the sound out of the instrument instead of the amp.... just my opinion, of course. I've tried the NS bass, and it just doesn't sound the same to me, just like the old Clevinger didn't either.....

11. i bought a double bass from jim laabs. its the munich with carved back and top. only the sides are laminated. it was 1700 with shipping then. another 400 for setup and new strings from a local luthier. man it is playing so badass. in my opinion 3 times better than englehart's basses. but not like my opinion is all that. anyways i thought id let you know since a few of you were talking about getting a db. most of the people that ive met who have been db players for a long time and my teacher are amazed at the bass.

12. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

I played a couple of carved top basses that I thought were nice. They do have a little more mellow and warm tone than plywood basses. I'd call them a little more melodic than plywood. But I also will end up with much less in this bass than what you spent.

I actually wanted a plywood bass. From what I have found out, they were a better choice for my needs.

I will be playing almost exclusively bluegrass and rockabilly. I wanted something that I could drag around and play outside or in and not worry too much about fighting with the setup. Plus I think the plywood sound is sort of what bluegrassers expect.

Engelhardts can be made to play and sound pretty good. I am happy with the purchase. With their relationship to Kay, they are sort of the Fender of the URB world. Not great, but not bad either. Just a matter of taste.

Thanks for all the replies.

chas

13. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    man....i tried to get a jim laabs carved bass...but all they had was POS's, and they were not so nice when i talked to them.

so i got that englehardt on the left in that picture. had the neck sanded to bare wood, tung oiled it, got bridge adjusters put in, and a set of d'addario heliocore pizz series strings, and the thing SMOKES. i think the finished rosewood board - while it plays kind of wierd, i actually think it gives the sound more snap.

wait...mines an EM1...so it's just like that one on the left but with rosewood stuff instead of ebony. oh well.

jason