Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got a new J-O-B

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jobu3, May 6, 2005.

1. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I've been pretty unhappy with my present employer. They keep taking more and more from the employees. We got a small raise this year after none last year, but our benefits are going up so that we won't actually see any more money in our checks. They went from us filling out a time card to punching in and out even if you're salaried (which I am). I got in some hot water because I would only take 15 minutes for lunch at the most at 11:00 and we're supposed to take 30 minutes. I was not allowed to flex my time to accomodate this i.e. leave fifteen minutes early if and when time permits. I'm a speech therapist and I work with people who have difficulty swallowing so I am usually very busy through the traditional lunch hours (from 11:30-1:30). I've never had a problem staying late if I had to and I often did without a complaint but now with the punching in and out they wanted me to punch out and come back if I really had to off the clock... I was not offerend any OT and had no luck utilizing comp time. After much haggling, they decided to make me straight salary so I wouldn't have to punch in or out. Then the admin. decided all salaried people might have to punch in and out anyways eventhough it won't count for anything... It's still up in the air. BS in my book.

Anyway, I went on a couple interviews this week. I got offered two jobs in two days. I'm accepting the one offer this weekend when the recruiter gets back to me with a final dollar amount. From what he said so far, it will be to the tune of $15K MORE than what my current salary is! Seems like a MUCH better company to work for as well... I have a friend who works for them and she said it's really a completely different environment that focuses more on the employees and the patients and not on dollar signs. :smug:

Needless to say, I'm really excited!!! :hyper:

2. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Good going!!!

Too bad more companies don't put the employees FIRST.
    That's my primary reason for leaving the white-collar world and becoming a stupid bass player.

:bag:

3. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    My boss is a part of the problem as well. She was always good about time off and flexibilty with scheduling which was always greatly appreciated but she doesn't DO anything. It's only the two of us for a 380 bed facility and I have at least 80% of the treatment and evaluation caseload at any given time. She rarely works more than 5 hours a day and these are not productive hours by any means... THey never asked HER to punch in and out though. She also has a way of being condescending and demeaning. From what I've heard, she tends to fly off the deep end although I've not seen it myself in the last two years under her.

I'm a little nervous about giving my two-weeks notice on Monday. :ninja: :bag:

4. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Congrads. I start a new job in a couple of weeks too.

I am currently working as a temp doing database and data conversion. I get paid through a staffing firm. A couple of weeks ago the company wanted me to fill out time tracking forms like the regular employees. It's really stupid for me to fill it out. It's basically a form where an employee writes down how long he/she worked on something for the day. There's a list of categories and such. But what I am doing isn't in any of the categories, I would need to fill out other.

You are right though, keeping track of time for a salary person is BS. It's a salary position, if you aren't hitting your deadlines put in the overtime, otherwise what does it matter :)

My new job, which is a permanent position, is salary. And they are extremely flexible on hours. One guy works 5-2ish, another 10-7ish.

Not geting stuck in a company/job like what you described is why I went to college. I didn't want some factory job where they treat you like crap.
    However, in my line of work (computer programmer) experience is key. I've been bouncing around for a ahile. Get about 5-7 years experience and it is easier to get a more stable position.

5. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Bingo. They treat us like drones. It's all about money, money, money. I have never had a problem being productive and effcient in meeting the required time and beyond for treatment to get the facility more money of which I see very little. The ydon't realize we provide services that transcend the money whether we are nursing, nursing staff, or other therapy staff. It was actually the nurses/nursing staff during the off-shifts (3-11 pm and 11p-7a) who abused the time-keeping, not the therapies yet it was therapies who took the brunt of this... So much for professional courtesy. Oh well. Not my problem anymore. :p :cool: