Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got a new PEAVEY

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tallguybcs, Mar 31, 2001.

1. I asked a while ago about a TKO-150, and someone said it didnt exist, well, I have it. Ill look at the specs later, but it is definately a TKO-150

2. OK, its 150 watts, its got a black widow speaker, and it has built in chorus and an 8 band equilizer, its too late to play it now, but ill give it a full test drive tomorrow.

BTW, it was $250, and its clean

3. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I believe the TKO model was discontinued... It was/is a useless model, to be honest. The TNT and 115 are far better, in power and everything else...

I honestly don't use either, I use the firebass, 115bxbw, 410txf.

although if I got a combo... I'd get the BAM 210.

4. From what ive read the TNT is less powerful and has less features then the TKO, but then again, I can be wrong

5. Tallguy, i think you have the models mixed up... I am pretty sure the TNT has more power and features than the TKO, and i have played through both, and did not feel there was a major difference in sound. I think that the TKO may have sounded a little bit warmer than the TNT to my ears, But neither of the amps were mine so i didnt get to mess around with the eq at all, so maybe thats the difference. But hey, if you like the amp, and its loud enough, and has tone you like, i dont think it matters what anyone says.

6. OK, im an idiot

The guy said it was a TKO, and TNT and TKO are similar, so I misread it, it is a TNT 150, well, now maybe i can find some info on it

7. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    TNT 150's were discontinued a while ago, I believe they're a little less powerful than the recent TNT 115's. But both should sound really good.

TNT's were my combo of choice before (even though I never owned one, they sound really good)

The specs to the TNT 150 are here:
    http://www.peavey.com/bassamps/tnt115.html

Is it a TNT 150S or TNT 150BW?

The S models are good, but not nearly as good as the TNT 150BW. If you ever need a new speaker, I suggest getting a BW... Black Widows are IMHO the best speakers... For 15"'s

Hope this helps...

8. Yup its got a Black Widow (or so the guy says) but it does sound very good, but there is some hissing when you stand close to the amp, its like an overtone of the notes, but when yore like 5 feet away it goes away. It is MUCH quieter then my danelectro practice amp though. I have been VERY impressed so far

9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I bought a TNT 100 about 25yrs ago. Still works and I have never had a problem with it.

10. It seems that this year, peavey upgraded its TKO with MuCHo watts...450w@2ohms..mucho. More than twice the TNT's juice.. hmm.. I guess they are trying to upmarket it.. now, only to replace the speaker.....

http://www.peavey.com/bassamps/compare_combos.html

11. After i looked at the Combo amp Comparison link: http://www.peavey.com/bassamps/compare_combos.html ...I clicked to the Specific TKO site, and it says 75w @ 8 ohms, and 100 @ 4 ohms, i think that the comparison link was an error on thier part. So it didnt get upgraded...poot.

12. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Not your amp, that's your cable. :)