Got a new speaker how should I connect it to my gear?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Raug, Apr 1, 2022.

1. Raug

Raug

Apr 1, 2022
    Hi everyone, I got a new speaker, a Hartke HyDrive 115, and I wanted to ask you guys what the best way is to connect the speaker to my gear. I have searched this forum and google and could not find a specific answer to my question so I ask myself. (I hope I wasn't to stupid to find the correct answer)

I got a Hartke LH500 head and an old Hartke HyDrive 410 (the one with the silver grid not the new one with the black grid) and now the new Hartke HyDrive 115.

The LH500 has two 8 Ohm jacks at the back and both speaker have an extender jack on the back. So what would be the best way to connect both speaker to the head?

Putting both speaker in the two jacks of the head or put only one in the head and the other in the extender of the speaker that is connected to the head?

2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
  3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Is your 410 8 ohms or 4 ohms???

esa372 likes this.
  4. Raug

Raug

Apr 1, 2022
    The Speaker are both 8 Ohms

5. Raug

Raug

Apr 1, 2022
    As far as I know the cables are speaker cables but I will check that again. Why is there no difference between using the direct inputs and the extender? Is the extender really just like a cable extender?

6. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    The two speaker outputs on the back of your amp are wired in parallel. When two 8 ohms cabinets are connected to them directly the amp sees a total load of 4 ohms, its stated minimum. You don't want to go below the minimum.

I know that sometimes people look at a daisy chain of speakers and think they are in series, but what matters is how the connections are wired. The jacks on the back of your cabinets are also wired in parallel, so connecting them one after the other has the same affect: the amp sees a total load of 4 ohms.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
  7. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Good, because your amp is rated to drive a 4 ohm min load only.

Connecting either way is exactly the same.