Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got a new Spector! (Yes another one!!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cetera, Feb 15, 2005.

1. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    I took a trip to my local guitar shop this lunchtime and found they had marked some of the prices wrongly on their Spectors. I wanted the Spector Euro LX in natural oil that they had displayed at the 'correct' price of £899... but I told them I wouldn't pay that as one of their other LXs had been mis-priced at £699 and, apart from being a solid colour, there was NO difference! :eyebrow: :scowl:

They reluctantly agreed and so I got it for £699! A bargain and a saving of £200 in the process!!! To top that, I got it on 12 months interest free credit so I can pay it off at under £60 a month!! :hyper: :hyper: :p :smug: :cool: :D

It played like buttah, felt like silk and sounded like a Spector should.... growly, punchy, rich & full! :bassist: :bassist:

Now just gotta go and buy a used Mesa/Boogie 2x15 EV loaded Diesel cab.... ;)

2. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Wow, you did it again :eek:
    Do you have a clear favourite among your Spectors ?

Post some pics / clips.
    Congrats !!!

P.S: If one day I decide to buy a Spector, I`ll surely know who I`m gonna ask for advice first :D

3. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Hmmmm..... well.....

I love the Holoflash USA NS2 for looks... ;)

I love the pre-Kramer USA NS2s for feel and tone... ;)

I love the Euros for value-for-money, natural wood finishes and hot power... ;)

but a favourite....?! No, I can't choose..!!! :smug: :D :bassist:

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Man, I'm chomping at the bit here myself. My Rebop 5 comes pretty much any minute now from UPS, and I'm dying here, people.

5. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Stay cool.... it'll be worth the wait....!! :hyper: :D

6. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Eleven Spectors!! You have got to be off your boobies. (Sounds like it should be in the twelve basses of Christmas talkbass carol)

Tell me, how did the collection/obsession start and manifest itself?

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Ahhhh.......the joys of lunch!:D

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    It starts when you buy the first one, then just takes off from there. It's an addiction they are JUST THAT GOOD. Go try one...

Ray

9. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Well, I saw pictures of Gene Simmons of KISS using a very cool customised version of the early Spector SB1 bass and loved the look of it. I tried to find a Spector to try but in the UK in the early/mid 80's they were a rarity. I then discovered the Spector NS2's that people like Alec Jon Such and later Eddie Jackson, Kip Winger, Pat Badger, Rachel Bolan etc were playing... and one day I wandered into the London Bass Centre and there in mint condition was a used pre-Kramer NS2 in cherry sunburst!! I picked it up and it felt like the 'missing part' of me... and it sounded amazing! I HAD to have it... but it was over £1000. So, I put a deposit on it and paid it off over the next 9 months by doing various after- college jobs etc. From the time I got my first full time job until now I have been increasing my collection whenever I find one that 'feels just right' and I can get for a good price... :hyper:

Hence I am normally skint! ;) :bag: :D

10. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Fair play. At least here in the UK if we stumble upon a good deal, ebay enables us to sell it on without (significant) loss!

I've tried the Koreans and one Czech model but all had the gloss finish painted neck which just didn't do it for me - are they all like this?

11. LOL... That's IT! You HAVE to buy another one! :D

12. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Most of them - yes... though I do have a bolt on NS2JCR which has a satin finish neck... :bassist:

13. I played a Euro LX 4 the other week, the sounds was SO growly. It snarled.

14. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    It growled and snarled ?!?!

Wow! And some people still say that Spectors aren't versatile...! ;) :rolleyes: :p :D

15. The first Spector I ever played was an older NS5CRFM(dot inlays, EMG preamp) and I fell in love. That was £1000. I own a REX 2000/5, a NSJH5CM fretless is on the way, and I'm buying a Rebop 5 in May. Then it's time for a six string...

The gloss necks are OK by me, but I prefer my REX to the Czech's. The Rebop plays better than the gloss finish Czech necks, and with active EMG's will sound identical. Just about £300 cheaper(brand new).

I love neck through's but I'm starting to buy what a lot of Spector lovers have said before - all great basses, but the bolt-ons are where it's at(and cheaper to boot).

I still want a us neckt hrough though. Maybe if I have enough money around when i want that six...

16. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    cetera you certainly like your emoticons. ;)

17. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    Anyone have any comments/experiences with the new Spector Legends? I'm considering a 4 string w/amberburst finish. I know they are Korean, how do they feel, sound, etc.?

18. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    My US 2J and my US JH5EX both have unfinished necks. They have the best feel to them.

19. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    He is ;)

11 is beyond rational limits. Like, how many of those do you play actually? I bet most are just collecting dust :rollno:

20. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England

Actually most of them get played.... :p

Some get used with my 'function bands' - in standard tuning and with dropped D tuning. The white ones look especially nice when playing in a tux... :smug:

Others get used in rock covers bands e.g. the Rex, holoflash NS2 etc :bassist:

The only one that doesn't get played out is my original mid 70's SB1 which due to it's rarity has taken on more of a display role on my wall... :cool: