Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got a pre-/power amp: What do I fill the last rack space with?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by philthygeezer, Feb 18, 2004.

1. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    What would you put in?

2. Rack mount power strip.

3. kmacleish

kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Or a rackmount tuner, or a good compressor/limiter, or a good EQ (if your pre does not already do that, of course), or a wireless unit, or an effects box, or . . . .a tasteful blank panel?

4. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Compression.

5. If you've only got one rackspace, maybe some sort of 'all-in-one' unit could work. Liek the Behringer V-Amp..(Of course soemthign nicer would be better)

6. V-amp's 2 rack spaces...

I'm a fan of the BBE Sonic Maximizer, but I've heard the Aphex Aural Exciter, and I really wish I had that bad boy.

Aphex 204

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Excellent suggestions!

My #1 rack is 6 spaces. The main components are an Alembic F2B preamp and Stewart power amp (3 spaces total). I use 2 more spaces for a power strip and a good compressor. In the remaining space I use either an equalizer or the Aphex 204 exciter.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Here's another vote for the Aphex Aural Exciter.

I used one, and it is excellent. I used the 104 Type C2.

-Mike

9. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    If you like distortion, you could consider a GK preamp or SWR Interstellar Overdrive.

Maybe a compressor if you want to spend the money for a rack one. I don't use compression but I do use a limiter. I find that the combination of that and a graphic eq "compress" enough for me.

Other possibilities to consider are Multi-FX Stations, Graphic Synth, Polyphonic Octave, etc.

I wouldn't go for a tuner because I think the rack tuners are a big waste of money. No one in the audience, band, or studio will notice if your intonation is off by +/- 1 or 2%.

10. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    Rackmounted pull-out drinks tray with integral cigarette lighter and bottle opener. :D

11. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Now there is a great idea for it!!!

Except I'd add a place in that for an ashtray. :)

12. How about a blank rack space plate until you figure out what is best for you?

13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Carrots?
    :bag:

14. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    one of those nifty fake rack spaces... those things rule.

15. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    power conditioner or a tuner

16. I'd go with a tuner myself. It's a lot more convenient to have a tuner built right into your amp, than to deal with a pedal or a some other tuner.

17. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    i personally would put in a power strip or tuner but...

maybe a 2nd preamp?!?! :D hehehe

18. That's the ticket, yeah!!

19. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    We have a winner!

You WILL stumble on something down the track, but you'll have no space for it. Then you'll post a thread here asking "I need to get rid of something in my rack. Which would you ditch?". And between us , we'll have you throwing out the whole lot, so you'll have to go buy a bigger rack case and behold, you've now got another empty rack space. So you post a thread here saying "What should I put in my empty rack space"...............

20. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

How does anyone really know what gear they need until they actually try it? The real way to find out whether or not one needs a tuner, EQ, effects, (etc) is to put one in the rack and use it... and the best way to know is to use it for its intended application (home, rehearsal, gig, whatever).

The poster is merely asking for ideas. I give him the benefit of the doubt that he will consider all of these ideas thoughtfully before making a decision. :) Regardless, as mentioned, trial and error is helpful. If buys a compressor and decides he doesn't like it or need it, he's still learned something. He can sell the compressor and try something else (another brand, or a different device entirely).

Goes without saying that nobody should go broke experimenting. But over the years I've bought a lot of gear I decided I didn't like. I don't look back on those items as money wasted, I consider it valuable experience.