1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Got a Question about Hartke LH500 and Avatar212

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ronny49, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Ronny49

Ronny49

Aug 22, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hi guys! :bassist:

I own the Hartke LH500 amp head and an Avatar 212 bottom, both brand new in the last week.

I am planning to purchase a second Avatar 212 bottom and am concerned about the sound quality when connecting both cabs.

Both cabs will be 8 ohms.

I spoke with Ampeg tech support as I was also considering an Ampeg SVT 3 Pro (which is a 450 watt RMS amp) and they informed me that with my speaker selection, I would be way under powering the 2 cabs and really should consider a head with more wattage, such as the SVT 6 Pro. But the weight on that head is 41 pounds and said no way!

So I want to know from some experienced players if I use 2 - 212 Avatar Neo cabs and my Hartke LH500 (500 watt) head, will I be ok and get good sound and not ruin my speakers or should I get a more powerful bass head?

Any help will be much appreciated! :help:

2. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    It would work just fine if both bottoms are 8 ohm. As long as your speakers can handle the power you are using and you dont go below a total load of 4 ohms. The pair of avatar 212's should easily handle the power and 2 8ohm cabs would give you a total load of 4 ohms which is perfect. I dont believe in underpowering speakers. I have a 100 watt ampeg V4B that i run with my 1000 watt avatar neo410 and it works beautifully and i never have to worry about blowing the speakers. Speakers dont blow from too low a wattage, they blow from too high a wattage or too much distortion or feedback.

3. Ronny49

Ronny49

Aug 22, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ

Cool Man... Thanks for the heads up!! :cool:

4. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    should be a great sounding rig, enjoy

5. ampeg tech support was telling you to spend more money.

6. Sharko

Sharko

Jun 18, 2009
    Washington, DC
    +1
    You can't really underpower a cab. Even if you could, like he mentioned above 2 cabs at 8ohms apiece is a 4 ohm load. The SVT3pro was made to run 450 watts at 4ohms, that's it's max output and those cabs are well equipped to handle it.

7. Ronny49

Ronny49

Aug 22, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yah... I was going to return the Hartke for the Ampeg SVT 3 Pro, but because that tech guy told me it wasn't enough power and that he highly recommended I go for the 6 Pro, I am now staying with the Hartke.

Funny... how he lost a sale by trying to upsell me. Now he made nothing off me.

Not a good sales person.

I like the sound of Ampeg but Hartke also sounds very good and I also got the Zoom B9 pedal which gives me everything else!

Thanks guys!