Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got a question on amps...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Grahams Groove, Apr 19, 2001.

1. Hey,
    I just bought my fender Bassman 200 combo. And i was wondering, is clipping in the preamp bad for the amp?? Its not extremely frequent, but it does happen at times... (I keep the EQ all flat (5 on a 1-10 scale), and i have the gain at about 3 & 1/2 or 4, and the master volume at like 5-6...what do you think??? It's all solid state, and its 200 watts at 4 Ohms. Also, it has a special designed 15" Eminence Driver. What do you think?
    Peace
    Graham

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    When you do your hardest (as in most forceful) playing, seeing the preamp clipping light blinking a little is not bad at all - it usually means you've set your gain right. If it clips like crazy, you might get some distortion in your tone, but it does no physical harm to the amp. POWERAMP clipping, on the other hand, is another story - it kills speakers.

3. Yeah, on the bassman, I had that happening at first, so I just keep the limiter switch in (on), and it rarely lights up...(maybe once every few songs if i happen to kill the strings or something...) Anythign else i should know about? My knowledge on the wiring and such of amps is lacking so im open to any free lessons...
    Thanks
    Graham

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I think you are fine as you are now... There are only two (or three) big no-no's with amps, to look out for:

1) Don't mismatch impedances (i.e. never a lower speaker load than the amp can handle).

2) Don't clip the poweramp too often.

3) (Applies mostly?/only? to tube amps and relates to no-no 1) Don't ever try to play the amp with no speaker attached to it (= 0 ohms load)!

But if you want to know more, there's a lot to read around here. Do some searching, you'll be surprised what you'll find. :)