1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Got a quote on SWR IOD

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ldiezman, Jul 4, 2002.

1. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I have been looking for a new preamp to add to my rig. I was pretty sure on getting and SVP-pro preamp.. but lately i've been wondering about The SWR interstellar Overdrive preamp. I have heard several good things about it.. but i've never played through on. I have played through several SWR heads... do the heads have the same basic preamp?

Well I got a quote from a shop for one for $549.99 with free shipping... It seems like a good deal but i was just curious as to what you guys think.. money isn't a big issue.. i just don't want to go over board.. gotta have some money for the fall ;). I say between $500-$700 is where i want to stay..

I play jazz, funk, rock,hip hop, and R&B type stuff.. any suggestions as to what i should run with would be nice.
    thanks,
    Jim

2. timv

timv

Jun 7, 2000
    Chandler, AZ
    I just payed 650 for mine so 550 is a good price. Thats cheaper than musicians friend.

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    that's what i payed for mine - but i ended up having to pay shipping and tax. go for it!

4. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Good price. A local internet dealer in South Florida quotes it at 595, so I say its a good deal. Do it.

5. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Rik's Music offers Free shipping over on items over $250.

Tim, NEVER buy (well...almost never*) from Musicians Friend. Their prices can almost always be beat by a place that's more than likely to be more competant and friendly.

*Sometimes they have some insane closeout deals that are really nice, however.

6. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I got my quote from Rik's music ;).. I think I am going to go with it :D

7. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I suspected as much. Got a simmilar IOD quote from them myself.

8. I bought mine used from Nightbass for a fair price, and I'm entirely satisfied with it.

I spent a long time looking at other preamps (bought an F-1X) and though hard about the SVP-Pro but decided against it for two reasons: hiss and lack of double XLR out.

The IOD is a seriously nice preamp, and the Drive is effective, even if it takes a lot of tinkering to find your sound. Be sure to get the SWR foot switch. The optional SWR drive volume pedal is very pricey, and I don't see it being nearly as necessary as the foot switch.

The IOD puts out 700 mV on both XLR and 1/4" outputs with a 140 mV input signal at 100 Hz. This is insufficient to drive QSC PLX series amps to full output. QSC offers a factory modification to increase the amp sensitivity for this purpose.