Got a quote on SWR IOD

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ldiezman, Jul 4, 2002.

1. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I have been looking for a new preamp to add to my rig. I was pretty sure on getting and SVP-pro preamp.. but lately i've been wondering about The SWR interstellar Overdrive preamp. I have heard several good things about it.. but i've never played through on. I have played through several SWR heads... do the heads have the same basic preamp?

Well I got a quote from a shop for one for $549.99 with free shipping... It seems like a good deal but i was just curious as to what you guys think.. money isn't a big issue.. i just don't want to go over board.. gotta have some money for the fall ;). I say between $500-$700 is where i want to stay..

I play jazz, funk, rock,hip hop, and R&B type stuff.. any suggestions as to what i should run with would be nice.
  2. timv

timv Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Chandler, AZ
    I just payed 650 for mine so 550 is a good price. Thats cheaper than musicians friend.
  3. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    that's what i payed for mine - but i ended up having to pay shipping and tax. go for it!
  4. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Good price. A local internet dealer in South Florida quotes it at 595, so I say its a good deal. Do it.
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Rik's Music offers Free shipping over on items over $250.

Tim, NEVER buy (well...almost never*) from Musicians Friend. Their prices can almost always be beat by a place that's more than likely to be more competant and friendly.

*Sometimes they have some insane closeout deals that are really nice, however.
  6. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I got my quote from Rik's music ;).. I think I am going to go with it :D
  7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I suspected as much. Got a simmilar IOD quote from them myself.
  8. I bought mine used from Nightbass for a fair price, and I'm entirely satisfied with it.

I spent a long time looking at other preamps (bought an F-1X) and though hard about the SVP-Pro but decided against it for two reasons: hiss and lack of double XLR out.

The IOD is a seriously nice preamp, and the Drive is effective, even if it takes a lot of tinkering to find your sound. Be sure to get the SWR foot switch. The optional SWR drive volume pedal is very pricey, and I don't see it being nearly as necessary as the foot switch.

The IOD puts out 700 mV on both XLR and 1/4" outputs with a 140 mV input signal at 100 Hz. This is insufficient to drive QSC PLX series amps to full output. QSC offers a factory modification to increase the amp sensitivity for this purpose.