Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got a RC-20xl - Now Have Some Questions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JazzBassvb, Feb 24, 2005.

1. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Hey everyone!

I finally got a RC-20xl pedal and just love it. It's really going to help me grow musically and at the same time, give me a chance to play more complete music with my drummer buddy who I get together with pretty much every week and have fun.

I was wondering if this thing could be used in place of a DI box for recording music into a computer? Since my combo is at my friend's house, I hooked into my computer. I seem to have gotten a stronger signal into the LineIn port on my soundcard and figured with the output and instrument input adjustments, it would work.

Also, can anyone recommend some exercises to put this toy into good use? I have some stuff that I have written that I'm going to try and play, but would prefer some sort of 'direction' to follow and get a better overall experience with this.

I got a really good deal (at least I thought so) on the unit. I paid just under $300 for the unit ($269), ac adapter and a 10' cable. I have to remember not to hit the pedal so hard with my foot. Thankfully, I was just in socks when I played with it yesterday.

Any other thoughts and comments would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    JB

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've had one for four or five months now. I can't tell you if it'll act as a DI as I haven't tried to line out to anything but my amp yet.

As far as exercises, I guess I'd suggest just getting your timing down well enough so that the moment you hit the left loop pedal to play the loop you just recorded, you can immediately start playing over the loop without missing a beat. You can also do standard play-along exercises like record a loop of you playing a cycle of fifths, then play the cycle again over your loop to see how well you can match your timing. The best thing for accompaniment playing would be to record a single chord or a couple chord changes onto it with a guitar or keyboard, and then practice playing all of the scales or modes that apply to the chords over the loop.

3. Congrats on your purchase. They are really cool units. I immediately dumped the factory preset loops and replaced them with drum loops from a few loop cd's I have, that opened up a whole new world.

4. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    that thing is a blast

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yeah, those factory loops are useless unless you plan on playing background music for truck commercials.

6. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Bryan,

Wonderful! That's what I was looking for. The 5ths is a great idea to practice to. The chords and are also good and will use that as well.

Thanks very much!
    JB

7. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    caeserbass,

Great idea! I haven't listen to the factory disk yet, so maybe I won't. :D

Can you give me some titles of the loop discs you have to give me an idea on what to look for?

quatre03, Yes it is so far. I've only played with it one time and that was for about an hour. It'll take me a little while to get the timing right, but it should be ok. It's to much of a hit and miss type thing right now.

Thanks very much!
    JB

8. There are a few drum loop cd collections, Classic Beats and Breaks, Drum Crazy. I also have a Peter Erskine drum loop cd, and a Stevie D. one. Some of the drum tracks are only a bar long and are meant to be dumped onto a recording program like Sonar or Protools, but there are some tracks that are a couple of bars long. Good Luck.

9. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Great!

That'll give me something to look for.

I appreciate it very much!
    JB