Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got a really weird piece of mail today..

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vince S., Aug 2, 2005.

1. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    I work at an office, and today, they assigned me to do mail. I had to open about a hundred envelopes, take out the contents, stamp them, and place them in a pile for sorting.

I get to one envelope that doesn't have a return address. That should've been my first red flag. It also had our company's name and address cut/pasted onto the envelope. There was some dried glue around the sides; someone had done a sloppy job.

I opened the envelope and in it was a flyer for a floral company. However, it was really weird in that it looked like all the words were copy/pasted. It also just had random words on it like "AMTRAK AMTRAK AMTRAK" "CHARITY CHAMPAGNE" and a bunch of random numbers. The name of the company was nowhere on the flyer. There was a 1-800 number on it though, so I called it to see where it would lead. It turned out to be a floral company, but they had no idea what I was talking about when I asked about the flyer. They said they do send out flyers/postcards, but they are all in color. I described the flyer I had to the operator, and she told me they didn't send out any such flyers.

Frankly, I'm a little bit creeped out by this. I didn't get a chance to to show it to my supervisor since she was busy the entire shift. I made a copy of the envelope and flyer though.

Any thoughts or comments? Man, it's been weird at work. First the asbestos dilemma and now this.

Vince

2. RedBlueFireMan

RedBlueFireMan

Jul 16, 2005
    Hmm, that's really strange. Maybe the floral company misprinted that particular flyer. I guess your job can only get more usual from here

3. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    maybe they took an order of rare white orchids and started hallucinating.

:D

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    No white powder though right?

5. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Man... those cocain company have to be careful with giving out samples in mail nowdays...

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Dude, get the **** out of my mail. I'm not telling you again.

7. could be the master copy?

8. Ohhhh.... my bad, got a weird piece of Mail today... Nevermind...

Randy

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Sounds like someone being an idiot. i have often though of sending credit card apps back to some places with other ads and random junkmail in there. Or, I might sign them up to recieve junk mail.

10. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Talking to yourself is normal... anwsering however is not:)

11. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I work as an insurance adjustor

I think the funniest thing I ever got in the mail was a letter served to me by my attorney from opposing counsel.

Opposing counsel was pissed about the handling of the case (it was denied) and made it QUITE clear.

Well, in part of the letter, he threatened to rip me a new ****** (exact words) if He didn't get some satisfaction on the case.

Honestly, the schmuck is lucky that he did send it to my attorney first. If I had gotten it, I would have done an immediate serve to the State Bar Association. I still get a laugh over it.. It's posted on my cube.

12. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO

Ha! That's hilarious! I've gotten some weird mail at my job too, sometimes we'll get extended stay guests ordering prescriptions from Canada. It's like Christmas at the Hotel. The AGM and I always shake (lightly) the boxes, trying to guess what kind of pills are in there.....often the package has no return address, and you should see these people's eyes light up when they come to pick up their packages....just like kids on Christmas morning. :D

13. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    Me too! I like filling the prepaid envelopes from the credit card companies with the registration forms from competing credit card companies (filled out with bogus info, natch.)
    :hyper:

14. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Well I showed a copy of the letter/envelope to my boss. She said it was "weird". I still have no idea what it is. I don't think there was any powder in it when I opened it. But who knows.

Vince

15. I used to work in the mailroom of a major hospital with a major mental health program. Part of the job is to open mail that's generally addressed to the hospital and figure out where it goes. Nary a week goes by without a letter with some completely insane ranting about something or other.