Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got a setup 2 months ago and now my strings are too high and it's buzzing

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bkchang79, Apr 22, 2003.

1. I'm buzzing
    G- 1, 2, 3, 4 fret
    D- 2, 3
    A- 1, 2, 3,...........21
    E- 1,.........17

And when I slap it doesn't sound punchy because the strings are too high near the neck area.

I generally like my as low as possible and I hate having to spend money on another setup again.

2. Learn to set up yourself. :)

Your neck may have to much relief (bow) which is causing this. Too fix that is to turn the truss rod anti clockwise 1/4-1/2 turn AT MOST!!! Then restring, tune and leave the bass for 12 hours to let the neck set.

If your neck has no relief, then all you'll need to do is set the saddles lower at the bridge.

I know this isn't the best description, but if you do a search you'll get a good amount of threads about setting your action.. g'luck :)

3. d_rock211

d_rock211 Guest

Apr 29, 2002
    Kansas City
    this page helped me out immensely the first time I decided to do my own setup.

4. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    if it was recently set-up and now its out of wack its probably due to weather or temp change,my mex j/bass does that as well,it needs to be tweaked every 6-8 wks(low end basses are notorious for this problem) try tweaking the truss yourself CAREFULLY! a little goes a long way,there are many good links here on this site that will help you in-valuably
    good luck:D

5. Ziggy

Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    BK,

Had a similar problem with my 71' Fender "P" bass... yes, dramatic weather changes can easily effect even the best of them;^)

If you're not already, whenever the bass is not being played for an extended amount of time - overnight, weekend, etc., if should be kept in decent hardshell case... not your "Gig" bag. (That will help it stay the climate changes)

For some good information on set-ups, try; http://www.mrgearhead.com