1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GOT A SITUATION HERE!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassist_Ben, May 9, 2006.

1. hey everyone,
    dilemna...i was looking on ebay (in australia) and for once...1 in a million chance i finally saw an Fender Mike Dirnt Precision Bass. I LOVE THAT BASS! anyway...i can't afford it so i gonna ask parents if it could be my birthday + christmas + what i have in my wallet now = mike dirnt bass. It costs $1,150.

and i have a choice to sell my old bass..but you know the feeling where you don't want to get rid of your first bass guitar. but i really want this mike dirnt bass...any tips or advice... (the auction ends tomorrow). my bass is a Fender Squier Jazz Bass California Style (maroon coloured).

Cyaz!

2. Personally - i'd keep the first bass. Having more than one is cool/useful for SSSOOOOOOO many reasons
    Good Luck
    smo

3. dude, its your first, my first is still one of my go to basses, i've re-done just about everything about it, but its still a workhorse for me....plus, its your first, cant let that go

4. ok question here which one do you think is betteR?
    Fender Mike Dirnt Precision Bass Guitar
    OR
    Fender Squier J Bass California Style
    ???

Cheers

5. Real Fender (which Squier isn't) is allways best, and a little tip, never sell basses, just buy more if you have less than 20. Having more than one bass is allways useful, you can string one with flatwounds, which has such different sound from roundwounds.

6. RRP for a Mike Dirnt is about AUD$1600. Street price is less than that of course, probably around $1400. That's not that much more than $1150.

If I were you I'd keep your first bass and look into getting the Mike Dirnt brand new, you'll even get a warranty with a brand new bass plus a choice of colours etc.

7. JJBACOOMBA

JJBACOOMBA Commercial User

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Lecompte Bass Owners Club Member #2
    Keep your first bass. Continue to save money for a brand new one. And ask your parents for help. Like ,for your birthday and christmas.Dont rush into things. Having more than one bass is very helpful in the long run. I can imagine how you feel wanting that bass NOW, but good things come to those who wait. Godd luck and let us know what you decided. Rock On!:bassist:

8. Just out of curiosity, do you love it because of its looks, features, reviews, etc. or because you played one in a shop and it felt, played and sounded much better than your Squier? Make sure it's going to be a keeper before parting with that amount of money and your current bass, or you may end up regretting it.

Also, given the price of the eBay one, +1 on the advice to wait till you can afford a new one.

9. mostly because of its tone, it's just so different.

10. Sorry to nitpick, but when you say "its tone" do you mean what you hear in Greenday's records or what you heard when you tried it with your amp? Bear in mind that what you hear is a bass (and not necessarily a Fender MD by the way) + amp + effects + mixer + more effects + ... Besides, there's nothing too special about that model that would give it a unique tone: it's just an ash P with a '59 pickup, a Badass bridge and a specific neck profile which may be great for Mr. Dirnt but not the best fit for you. All I'm saying is go and try one before you make any decisions.

11. i havent seen any Mike Dirnt Precision Bass Guitars in Australia...and i been searching for ages.

12. That doesn't mean any of the 100's of Fender dealers in Australia couldn't order one in. I'm pretty sure Bass Centre has the Mike Dirnt model advertised on their website (www.basscentre.com.au), these guys do real sweet deals too.

13. keep in mind that
    A) for years mike played a gibson ripper or grabber, I get confused, the one with a maple fretboard. His sound was more like that bass and this fender P is heavily modified in that direction.
    B) no offense, but Mike is not a great bass player, get a geddy lee jazz. From what I hear its the best deal going in fenders right now, and geddy lee is a great bassist (though I can live without his vocals, but thats me) at least check out the Geddy Jazz. It's black with black binding, very punk rock! And will be like a snazzy pro version of your current bass.
    let us know either way!
    P.s. my folks never bought me any music gear for my b-day or xmass. If your folks are cool on you playing music thats great!

14. Or the Miller. thats also a KILLER bass.

15. thanks for all the help everyone!
    also im like lookin for the tone from bullet in a bible, longview...wher its at the bit:

G|-8-6-5-6-
    D|-0-0-0-0-
    A|
    E|

cause that sounds kinda distorted and i've been told the bass itself can make that noise without any effect or special amps.
    Cheers

16. also does someone have a recording of them playing that bit that i could hear...thanks!!

P.S the seller told me this about the effects:

There are two control knobs on this bass one for the volume and one for the tone of the two 59 Custom Shop pickups. If you open both up and crank the amp you can get a overdrive/slight distortion effect which is what I imagine Mike probably does in sync with his amp settings. Anyway the tones that you can get out of this monster is amazing believe me.

17. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    +1. "f'n' A, Cotton. f'n' A."

for real.

(sorry if this made no sense.... it's my birthday, and i'm wasted.)

18. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Not trying to put a dampener on your enthusiasm or anything, but it's pretty much like any other precision bass. Granted, it looks cool, but there's nothing special about it that will make you sound like Green Day.

The tone you're hearing is that bass (any precision will do) played loud through a Mesa Boogie amp, using a pick and two "effects"... a good sound engineer and a well equipped studio.

You will not be able to replicate it in your bedroom.