Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got a stand you like?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Chef, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  2. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    The stand you linked is an Ingles. Good stand. Bob G stands by them and sells them off his site. I got one and am pretty happy wit it.

3. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    That is the same stand "All Hail" Bob G sells for $49.00, but he charges $9.00 shipping.

As long as the padding is not latex, and your bass is not finished with nitrocellulose laquer, you are in good shape. Nitro laquer and latex create a chemical reaction that eats the finish. I have seen ruin the finish on a Fender Custon Shop bass (slab, $2,500 slab). It was not pretty and the owner was not impressed :bawl: I have heard nothing but good things from Bob G on his website, and nothing negative anywhere else.

az

4. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    Oops, la"c"quer. I hate it when I can't type, even more when I can't spell.

az

Huked on foniks reely wurked 4 me ;)

5. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Laquer? I think not...I just bought a King Double Bass. I can do business with Bob, he's been a nice guy with all my off board newbie questions...

6. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Actually I don't. At home my bass stands facing its own dedicated corner of the room, and on the gig it's laying on its side, preferably in its bag, when I'm not playing it. Stands make me fear of someone knocking the bass down. I don't plan to get one any time soon. Just MHO.

7. Ditto.

8. stiv1

stiv1

Apr 20, 2002
    Knoxville
  9. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    I'm not sure the cello sized one will hold a 3/4 sized db? Anyway, I ordered one from (A.H.) Bob. He supports the community, I support him. It's worth the extra duckets to me for everything he does...

10. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    Looks to me all three mentioned are the same exact stand. I guess it just depends on who you want to give your money. I put mine in its case and lay it down. I have a 9yr old, too much risk. When my music room is finished that will be a different story.

az

11. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    I got the Ingles stand from Bob G. and it is great. It's the same one that Upton has. A 7/8 size bass might test the size limitation, but it works perfectly well for my 3/4.

I use it in a contemporaty Church setting where room to lay the bass on its side is often nonexistant. Also, my kids at home are old enough to where I don't have to worry about them knocking it over. (They also know that I would have one less child if they did . . . ;) )

As always, Bob G. was easy to deal with and shipped the stand ASAP.

12. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    You can't see it, but there's a bungee cord under the fingerboard which attaches to a hook on the corner panel. 3 years so far, and no crashes or even near misses - and that's with three cats and a toddler in the house.

Attached Files:

13. I've used a Miesel stand for years. Never had a mishap (knock on wood). It's sturdy, very stable, and folds up nicely.

14. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I'm one of the few who use the Ingles on the bandstand as well as at home. It's very stable. Although the danger of tipping over is slightly greater, I feel the bass is more visible standing upright than laying down onstage, where people seem to trip over it fairly often. The neck locks into the upper part of the stand, so you would have you really give it a pretty good hit to even begin to worry about knocking it over. It also does away with all the edge degradation that inevitably occurs when you lay the bass down on the floor.

15. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    I'm using one as well. Yes, a 4/4 does fit in very well.

Really stable. I like to lie mine down, but I soon discovered Marcus' observation about it not being visible.

I was playing in a dark club, and on break I put a chair over the scroll so no one would trip over it. On break someone decided they needed the chair and in picking it up took a good notch out of my scroll.

On a bandstand where people are going to stay away, I lie mine down. Otherwise, I put mine on an Ingles in a corner as protected as I can get.

Monte

16. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    I have a K&M for both my DB and EUB, they have worked for me for six years, and one earth quake. The fist one I got came with my bass, the other off e-bay for $38.00. I like the Ingles design better but, being tall and lazy - I don't like to have to a adjust my end pin every time I want to practice.

17. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    That is a great idea. Do the shoulders get beat up on the wall behind or is there something behind protecting the back of the bass? Now you have me looking for an appropriate corner. I was just going to build a large glass fronted coffin, like a a big ol' curio bass case. :D

az

18. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Glass fronted coffin:
    The "Necromantix" bass player already beat you to that one:)

19. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    Are there pics?

az

20. Very cool Durrl...Also, I noticed the Barometer, thermometer and humidity readings are right on the wall!