Got a Tune 5...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oddentity, Mar 27, 2002.

1. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Well, I've been after a quality five string for a while now...

So I was perusing eBay a few weeks ago and a mint, NOS Tune TWX-5 caught my eye. I did some research, decided that it was a good deal for a good bass, and took the plunge. I was a little worried about buying it 'unplayed', but went ahead and bid anyway.

It arrived last night, and my worries were put to rest. :D First impressions:

It plays better than any of my Fenders, and feels very similar to a Roscoe LG-3005 that I played. The neck is very fast, the string spacing is comfortable, and the B string is great. The seller said it was 35" scale, but it looks more like 34" to me. No matter, the B sounds great; overall the intonation and action are very good. Not sure what kind of strings are on it, but I'm guessing nickels by the feel and sound.

It looks even better in person than it does in the eBay pic (below). :D The top and back are padauk with a maple core; the fingerboard is ebony.

It is totally flawless, too- the workmanship, fit and finish, fretwork, electronics, etc are impeccable. It came to me in the original box from the Tune factory. It looked like the only time it had ever been opened was for the eBay photo -- not a scratch!

If anyone's interested, I'll give a full review after I've had a chance to play it through my rig at band practice this weekend...

2. Wow, man! That is a looker. Sweet bass. Congrats!
  3. BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    What are the pickups/electronics on it?
  4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Excellent score, Tim. That's a serious high end piece and you got a nice deal on it.

BTW I'm digging the Basslabs shadow it casts;)
  5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    that explains the smile on your avatar... ah nevermind

6. Nice looking bass,Odd! Sounds like a match made in heavan!You get the lil red floating hearts above your head when you play her?:p ;)

Did`nt you also get a nice P bass a while back,gratis?Doh!!! NO FAIR!:oops:
  7. very nice, is strangely reminescant of a Yamaha RBX, the body shape i mean.

I think i'll stick with my lowly £550 Bass COllection 5 for now :)
    having said that, my uncle has offered to build me a bass, all i have to do is buy hardware & electronics, and play it in public

8. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Thanks, everyone...

They are Tune's own. The plastic casing of the pickups has TUNE molded into the front. The 18V electronics are also Tune's. Bass, mid, treble controls with a mid-notch filter trim pot on the circuit board, as well as individual volume trim pots for each pickup.

Ha ha!! Didn't notice that before... kinda looks like this one-

Heh - if anything, that smile should be a little wider now!! :)

Yeah, I did... Actually, I think I'm going to give that bass to a friend of mine who has gone through some tough times and had to sell a lot of gear to pay his bills... You know, pass the karma on... :)

Wow, cool... not only a custom bass, but a family connection too!! You'll have to keep us posted!
  9. Super cool about the karma and passing on the wealth,odd!

I had an octive pedal that I never used so I turned on a buddy too. :)