Got a virus problem...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tyler Hole, Jun 25, 2004.

1. I have this virus called Trojan.Startpage and I guess it keeps trying to run whenever I open something since it keeps bringing up a Norton Virus Alert thing. I ran a scan, it found it has infected a file called afob.dll in the Windows/System32 folder. I tried to fix it, Norton failed to fix it, tried to delete it, failed to delete it. I guess it can't delete it or something because it is being used (probably hooked onto a running program) and it's not in the Processes list.

So...I come to you folks who might know how to get rid of it. Any suggestions?

2. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    You can try starting in troubleshooting mode(safe mode) and delete the file. But that may trash your system.
  3. I would recommend you try TrendMicro's free online scanner at:

It's free, runs through your browser and is up-to-date. It may be able to clean or delete the file.

If you are desperate, you could try using the MS-DOS Command Prompt to delete the files. You can access the MS-DOS Command Prompt in the Accessories folder in the Start Menu.

To go down a directory, type ".."
    To go up a directory, type "cd [folder name]"
    To delete the file, type "del afob.dll"

It's a dynamic link library and those are one of the great flaws in Microsoft programming.
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    restart at a command prompt. you should be able to delete from there.

you should also be able to dig it out of the registry, and delete the key making it load.

5. It didn't like being deleted...but that WORKED! Thanks!
  6. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    matt till recommends meth.