Got a Warwick Cheap (not the same as a cheap Warwick)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkycarnivore, Jan 7, 2002.

1. My well-meaning and generous older brother got me a gift certificate to Guitar Center for Christmas. I'm not real hip on GC, but I needed some Spectraflex cables, so I made my way to my local GC, which is actually pretty decent. Apparently, they don't sell the Spectraflex cables anymore because they're not popular enough in my neighbourhood. As I was leaving, I spotted a Warwick. Not too odd at a GC, but this one was weird. Maple fretboard. Apparently, it was GC's 36th anniversary "Limited Edition" Warwick Corvette. Ash body, bubinga (?) top, ovangkol neck, maple fretboard, and Masterman pickup configuration. The price? $699. $599 after using the gift cert. I've had a few Warwicks before, but have always been disappointed that they weren't bright enough--mostly cause of that wenge fretboard. This maple seems to brighten things up a little, and gives the bass a little more tonal versatility.

Oops, I was gonna upload photos, but I'm having a problem with my web server so I'll do it soon.
  2. holy f00k ! that's the Corvette Jazzman.. the holy bass ! you lucky bastard ! :)
  3. rwagne2

Aug 2, 2001
    wow man, thats beautiful. If I were to get a warwick, thats the only one that i'd want to get - perfect complement of woods/electronics

you lucky dog, such a nice price too!

congrats on your find
  4. istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    I saw that bass at my local GC too! That thing looks and sounds great, it is a bit brighter sounding as you said, I really like the way the maple makes it look like no other Warwick I've seen.
  5. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i don't know if i'll ever be able to see a maple neck warwick without making sure i'm still on earth.

but that's a PHAT bass. i just got the newest warwick catalog, and i was astounded at all the options you can choose from. i'm sure they're pretty expensive, but there's a lot of 'em.

6. $700?!?!?!???!!!?? I've also got a Warwick FNA Jazzman, I got in in America last summer when I was on holiday there, but I certainly didn't get it at that price. I think you've found a bargain there mate!
  7. bman

Dec 4, 2000
    Sandown, N.H., USA
    That's no FNA Jazzman, but it IS a hell of a buy! I bought that same bass a while back and e-mailed Warwick about ID-ing it. Like you said, it's a GC anniversary model.
    Love the maple neck. Really great, complex sound.

I'll tell ya what though... The price on mine was $1,200. You got a GREAT price on it.

Enjoy it!
  8. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Do you get a new bass every week? Last week you got a new Jazz, the week before a Ritter! :mad:
  9. hehe..the back looks just like mines...

and I have the F.N.A. Jazzman :)
    mine's a 5-string, and I bought it for 1500$ ...
  10. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    so - why are these so cheap?

was it just a special deal, or are they normally that price?

cos if so...looks like i'm heading down to GC soon!

11. From my understanding, this one was put on layaway last year as soon as it became available. Whoever put it on layaway never came and paid for the rest, so they were just trying to get rid of it. This one had been in the store for over a year--it was made for the GC 36th anniversary, and the 37th anniversary one was released in October. List on this one is something ridiculous like $2300.
    Last year, I bought a green FNA 5 for $725 at the same GC. I returned it cause it wasn't bright enough for me. This store seems to have good deals from time to time.
  12. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Great deal, as usual!
    Did someone say you got a Ritter recently?
    If so can you tell me about it?
  13. Hey Mark, yeah, I bought a Ritter through eBay from somebody who actually hangs out here at TB from time to time (Mr. Zero). It was supposed to be delivered today but FedEx screwed up a little, so I'll be on my way to pick it up tonight at 6:30. I will definitely let everyone know how it works out with that velvet fretboard and all.