1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Got an almost free Squier Affinity P-bass to learn setups and it surprised me!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MakoMan, May 24, 2012.

1. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    Actually it was 50 bucks, but the seller included a well padded gigbag, cable, strap and guitar stand. So it was either a $50 guitar with free accessories or $50 accessories with a free guitar. It was one of those mom bought a bass for her son because he begged for one, but after a month he never played it again.
    Anyway, I bought this 3 year old very dirty and stickered up Affinity P-Bass on on Monday with the intention of learning how to do my own setups and see if I like a 34" after starting out on short scales. The setup part went very quickly... with the help of Talkbass setup info, the Fender website and my bass instructor I now know how to set up a bass and have this one playing about as well I think as an Affinity can play. From that standpoint it has already paid for itself. It also cleaned up to the point where it truly looks like a new bass.
    The biggest surprise however was how this Affinity sounds and plays. I am absolutely in love with it. If there was any doubt as to whether I would like a P-bass, that doubt is now completely gone. The neck, the tone, even the weight... everything feels fabulous about this bass. The band I've been rehearsing with is having our first public performance on June 9 and I'm almost positive I am going to use the Affinity instead of my Jag or Gretsch short scales.
    I've read some negatives on TB about Affinity basses but for the life of me after playing around with this one I cannot figure out why. I am going to have to go out and try a VM or CV P-bass because they must be REALLY amazing LOL!

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Play on it for a while, you'll see why affinity is a great brand for its price, but not a great brand. To each their own though.

3. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    Oh, I am sure it's not a Fender, but honestly it was a big surprise. I really expected it to be a big piece of crap.

4. THORRR

THORRR Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Parker, Colorado
    I had a very similar experience -
    I got a Squier Affinity P-Bass off Craigslist for only $30 !!
    (no case or candy or accessories though)

It had a loose tone knob, a loose tuning key, a loose jack, and a bowed neck. Virtually unplayable.
    So I talked the guy down to a "scrap lumber price"
    went home and tightened it all up, straightened the neck,
    put on a used set of Chromes, did a setup, and voila!
    A great little bass!
    With a great sound too. I was totally surprised.

I use it on gigs for a "tuned down set" we do.

I still favor the Jazz neck (I have 7 Jazz Basses) but I don't
    mind the wider P neck as much as I used to. And it's nice to have
    a "P" in the stable. For that price, who could resist?

:hyper:

5. derg

derg Supporting Member

May 26, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    i got a slightly abused Ibanez EDA900 with case for $100...

6. Where are the pictures? I know, it's only an Affinity, not expensive, blah...

Where's the pictures?

7. Affinity is not a brand , its the series........... squier is the brand and squier is a great brand if you find a good one, there tends to be a lot more lemons then fenders but having owned over 40 squier basses I can say hands down a good one holds its own with a fender counterpart.

8. soulman969

soulman969 Inactive

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    I just did a complete set up and re-stringing on a friends Affinity PBass. To me the overall quality of the build is about what you'd expect at that price. But, the sound of that stock pickup isn't good at all. At least not to my ears.

If I had one that would be the first thing to go. These Affinity's don't even come close to the level of the CV Series Basses. But, that's as much from the fact that the CV's are pretty incredible builds at their price more so than it is to say the Affinity's are junk.

They'd be a decent starting point for a new bassist and with a better pickup(s) probably much better sounding as well.

9. Lawkeeper

Lawkeeper

Mar 12, 2011
    The Netherlands
    My first (and favourite) bass is an Affinity series Jazz.. It's great! Maybe not perfect, but it's everything I need from a bass.

10. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    Glad to hear it worked out for you too :D
    On mine the neck was almost perfect, but stickers and grime had taken their toll. As well the action was set incredibly high and the strings were corroded. All very correctable and a great way to learn how to do my own setup. It was much easier than I thought and now I know the guitar is about as perfect as can be.
    Just thrilled at how it plays. Now I have to try a MIM Precision or a VM!
    It's amazing how perception is when playing basses in stores. I had tried at least a dozen basses and found the jazz necks more comfortable than the Precisions. But actually having one at home for a few days has totally changed my perception about the neck.

11. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    I think you make a very valid point about perception and the fact it's not that the Affinity's are junk, but the CVs and VMs are so good!
    Definitely will change the pickups one day (good used or new pickups are cheap!), but for now I'm just going to enjoy it for what it is, a really nice backup bass and an introduction into 34" basses, Precisions and doing my own setups.

12. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    Here's a picture of the new addition with it's little Jag brother :cool:

Attached Files:

13. My first gigging bass was an Affinity P. With a setup, Roto 66s, and Fender Original Pups it held its own live and in the studio.I couldn't take the weight, though (close to 11 lbs with a BA2).

14. Chuck King

Chuck King Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Chicago
    I had a similar experience: a friend got a beat-up and stickered Affinity P-bass for free, and I did a set-up on it for him. When it was done, I was really surprised at how good it played and sounded. The pickups may not be great P-bass pickups, but taken on their own merit they gave it a really cool snarly tone. I would not hesitate to recommend one to a financially-challenged person, or for a leave-it-in-the-trunk beater.

15. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    My girlfriend plays an affinity P just like that. I used it at a gig once as a drop tuned instrument and the sound was awesome! Great growl and it worked fantastically. I did replace the pots and cap with higher quality parts and did a setup on it first though.

My first bass was an Affinity and it was a great bass, but I was stupid and thought that I needed an Ibanez instead. Easily the worst bass decision of my life haha.

16. jbossolo

jbossolo

Sep 22, 2011
    Mako: my first bass was an exact clone of that one. My experience was (and still is, as I still own it) exactly as yours. Squiers are the real deal. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

Having said that, just for fun I'm planning on modding mine with a set of Seymour Duncan Antiquity II's or maybe even a set of Nordstrand's. Then I'll have a bass that's worth less than it's pickups!

It's all about having fun, baby!

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    How did it sound in the mix?

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    These are the steps so many don't take before they dismiss a brand entirely. IME IMO it's their loss.

Many of the supposed issues are far from permanent but way too many folks act as if they are. And as you found out for yourself, doing a setup isn't magic or necessarily hard...