Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got an Ampeg SVT-4PRO. Now what?!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by swamprock76, Dec 13, 2004.

1. swamprock76

swamprock76

Feb 15, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Please help a brother out here!

I am selling my Ampeg PR-410HLF. It's just too damn heavy (128 pounds). Really sucks becuase I felt it was a perfect match for the head. Can you guys help me find a lighter counterpart for my SVT-4PRO? I must admit to getting confused with ohms, watts, and such.

I've been looking at AccuGroove, Avatar, Bergantino, Epifani, Glockenklang, and Schroeder. They all seem to have some compact cabs that pull way more than their weight! I just don't know which one to narrow it down to. I play everything from Garth Brooks to Korn in small to medium size bars/clubs on my Peavey Millennium 5 string (American model).

Wouldn't be completely against selling the SVT and picking up a sweet combo either. I am glad to have so many great choices, but would really appreciate some input to help me select my new rig.

Thanks!!!!
    -E.

2. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area

If it helps any, I'm seriously considering dumping both my BXT cabs for one single Schroeder 410. After reading everyones testimonials, it seems it'd be more than enough and sound all the better. I'd be happy to lose a bit of volume even if they sound anywhere near as good as people describe.

Troll

3. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I was using my former SVT-4Pro with my Schroeder 1210 and it was EXCELLENT. Loud, loud, loud! And I didn't even give it the juice it really was asking for. Great tone too. Could handle smooth to aggressive.

Oh, and did I mention I'd loved being able to carry my own cab with no problem? I'll miss that 1210... :(

-T

4. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    So why are you selling it? Already bored with it? Wasn't all you expected? gambling debts?! :)

Troll

5. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Why not pick up a pair of Genz-Benz NeoX 212T's. That would cover all of your bases and they are light weight.

6. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Gambling debts is pretty close...

haha, j/k. But debts none the less. Credit cards are a funny thing. They ACTUALLY expect you to pay them back! THE NERVE!!!

:crying:

Nope, the Schroeder sale was a forced financial move. It had to go to pay off bills and I'm settling on using a backup cabinet in the meantime while I look around for a fantastically good deal on a used rig. Donations, anyone? Maybe Santa will destroy my chimney by dropping a cab or two this year. But I'm not holding my breath. :spit: Oh, and I don't think I even have a chimney. :eyebrow:

But I do know that once the funds are back, I'm rejoining the Schroeder camp. I can't possibly turn down that much volume in such small packages. And they sound good too! :D

Best of luck...

-T

7. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Same here. I thought the svt 4-pro worked great with the bergantino 322 and you can get a lot of good tones to cover what you play real easy. The 322 is 90+ lbs though but worth a look.

8. swamprock76

swamprock76

Feb 15, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    That is the Berg cab I was thinking about! Even at 95 pounds it's still 33 pounds lighter than the Ampeg beast ;-P I MAY have narrowed it down to the Schroeder cab though. I heard one the other night and Jorg himself answered my e-mails today - great guy! The 21012 has two 10's and a 12 and only weighs in at 75 pounds!

9. popawheelie

popawheelie

Apr 14, 2004
    I played a SVT4PRO through a Epifani 212 a couple of weeks ago. It sounded awsome, definately loud enough as a stand alone. Plenty of low end and punch. The 212 is 4ohm and I bridged the SVT4 into it. I can't recall how much the Epifani 212 weighs, but it can't be more than 70 lbs.

10. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    If you decide to look for less exspensive cabs such as Avatar, don't buy until you check out Dr. Bass cabs. Same speakers as Avatar with a, beautiful, durable, polymer coating and lighter than the rest for little cash. They come in MDF or Birch with custom configurations available. Two compact 2x12's could be had for less than $800 at approx. 50 lbs. each. Just another low $ alternative. :p