1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Got An iPod - Now An Important Question...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BassGod, Apr 14, 2006.

1. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Alright I decided to buy a 30 gig iPod, and it's working out great., but I just have one question.

So I loaded up the iPod with all of my CDs, and then I put some random mp3s from my Ares file onto it.

The problem is that a lot of the songs from Ares had song/band names spelled wrong, etc.

So I went into iTunes, and fixed all of the names so that they were correct, and also added a few CDs.

My question is this: When I connect my iPod and it automatically updates (and adds the new songs) will it also update the information I changed?

And if not, can I wipe the iPod's memory and just load all of the songs again somehow?

Thanks,
    Graeme

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Your iPod will copy what you have on iTunes. So if you update your songs on iTunes in any way, the next time you plug in your iPod, it will sync itself to iTunes.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Yup, you should be fine. Also, something I found out _way_ too late after getting an iPod, is that in iTunes you can highlight multiple songs, right click, and select "Get Song Info" and then change an album or artist title on all of the songs at once. Good time saver!

4. I just got my iPod a couple days ago and just learned this today. It was agrivating doing it one at a time. Saves a lot of time.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    That's funny. When I rip a CD I paid for onto my computer, the file names are always correct.

-Mike

6. I noticed this too, hmm, coincidence?

7. If you are connected to the net while in itunes, and put a cd in, it automaticaly searches for the album and retrieves the track/disc info.

8. I think he was getting at the fact that it was illegaly downloaded songs that had mis-spelt names

9. Gotcha. That went right over my head.:ninja:

10. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Jabs about downloading aside, I have had a few CDs in the past (though it is pretty rare) that had incorrect information or an incorrect spelling of something. It does happen.

It usually happens with more obscure bands, usually indie stuff.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    only 30 gigs? you're gonna fill that quick, with your cd collection, podcasts, etc.

i'm still waiting for the terabyte iPod. :p :D

12. i dont have an ipod.. i hate them things.. grrr.. i love my cowon iaudio :)

but anyway..lol

my cousin is computer iliterate so i rip her cds and transfer them to her ipod for her.. anyway.. dont really need to add song to teh library you can just drag them straight onto the ipod in itunes from an external folder.. completely bypass the library and then edit the files from ipod directly

13. Be wary of trying to share mp3's with other iTunes libraries. Some iPods (namely the newer models like the Shuffle & Nano) will only allow you to use one library at a time. For example, say you have just ripped a fanatastic CD of Frank Zappa to you new iPod Shuffle, and your buddy wants a copy, you might think it would be a simple case of pluging in your iPod to his machine and hey presto! Wrong. The computer running the other iTunes library will ask you if you want to associate that iPod with his/her iTunes library. If you agree to this, you will lose ALL of the tunes stored on the pod. This is little known about by most people new to the iPod. It's not an issue on older models though. The only way to really share files is to allow an iPod to use some of it's disk space as a drive, then you can share stuff.

14. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    You cant share libraries on any of the ipods that i know becuase it is ILLEGAL. IF you found some way around it then I wouldnt share in a message board.

15. There are plenty of easy ways around it that don't need to brought up here. Just google.

16. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
  17. Earlier versions of the iPods could share libraries, but that's before iTunes and the necessary firmwares etc were updated. I think it's only when the MacOS moved over to OS X full time did sharing the libraries become difficult.

The point I was trying to make was, don't try and share you libraries, because iTunes will wipe the iPod in question. I was just trying to guide 'Morf' on his new purchase, as he/she may not of been aware of this restriction.

Anyway sharing libraries isn't illegal if you own the music in question, and you have multiple Macs running different iTunes libraries..... which I do BTW.

18. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    No it wont. Just dont use itunes, and copy stuff as if it were a hard drive using rockbox. Rockbox is fairly new on the iPod that may be why you think ipod is restricted, but there is a new rockbox version for all ipod models which works quite well.

19. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Actually, while I was mainly talking about downloaded songs, a few of my CDs did have spelling errors.

And funny little thing... when I put in Metallica's self-titled CD, it actually called it the 'Black Album', oddly enough.

Anyways, thanks for the help. The iPod updated all of my changes, so it's all good.

Thanks again,
    Graeme

20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    From all the way across the pond, he was right there with me. Way to go buddy! :D

-Mike