1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Got an Old Warwick...Some Questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ElDuderino, Apr 24, 2006.

1. ElDuderino

ElDuderino

Apr 2, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Hola Talkbass,

My first post, but i've been hanging out reading posts for a long while (well, about a month, as I just found this great resource). I've played bass for 11 years, and am a big fan of Warwicks. My first "quality" bass was a corvette standard from 2000 which I still have, and I used to have an awwwesome FNA Corvette 5, which I sold (and deeply regret doing so). Anyhow, I finally lucked out, and found a neck-thru Streamer from '91 for $600! Jumped on it. Sounded and felt incredible, had some marks and scratches, but I still thought it was a steal.

Now, Is the bass a stage I or II? I'm really unsure, as the truss-rod cover was missing. Serial number is "B3218 91". Also, I've been ecstatic the last couple days because of the killer purchase, but yesterday (while taking these photos, actually), I noticed the neck would "click" when slight pressure (either inward or out) is applied near the head. Is the truss rod broken? Loose? Is this typical?

Another thing, near the bridge, the 2 center pieces of wood. Not sure what they are (wenge?), but the lower one (from the player's perspective) has faded and lost it's colour. Hmm...the wood isn't painted, so how does it fade? Just struck me as odd.

Would it be difficult to find the original truss rod cover anywhere? It would make the bass look a bit nicer. And since it's a light-coloured wood, how would you guys suggest I clean it? There are some smudges around the knobs, pickups, etc.

Thanks for hearing me out,
    -Dude

Attached Files:

• W.
      W.jpg
      File size:
      71.6 KB
      Views:
    • W2.
      W2.jpg
      File size:
      68.6 KB
      Views:
  2. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    Wow, nice find

It looks like a stage 1. Warwick uses Maple for the stage ones, and afzelia for the stage twos.

The neck stringers (those "2 center pieces of wood") are probably wenge, but it's hard to tell from the pics (and Warwick's site doesn't say anything).

I don't know much about truss rods, so I can't help you there.

As for the truss rod cover, send Warwcik an email, they can most likely help you out in getting a replacement.

Finally, I use Lemon Oil (available at any home store or furniture store) to clean my natural finish guitars and basses. It should take care of your smudges, and with some wax on top, it provides great protection for the wood. Just rub it on and wipe off the excess...you can use it for your fretboard too.

Hope this helps:)

3. Nice catch! I've got a '91 Stage I as well. It's a nice bass indeed.
    The neck clicking is something I've never noticed, and if I were you I'd take the bass to a good repairperson to have it checked out. Oh, and the neck laminates on mine are made of wenge. There's no reason why yours should be any different.
    Enjoy!

4. First off, WELCOME TO TALKBASS!!

It's always nice to see another warwick fan around here (there's quite a few)

As far as the "clicking" noise, I'd bring it in to get it checked out.
    For the truss cover plate, try Dana B. Goods, they are the US distributer for Warwick, and have alot of parts on hand, and are very helpfull people.

RE:smudges.....Are you waxing the bass regularly?