got another "bad show" story

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Nirvana4ever, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Nirvana4ever

Aug 2, 2005
    Our band hasn't been together TOO long. We formed about a year ago. Anyway, we were having our first real show in front of people, but the lame thing was it was a talent show. Weak, I know. We just wanted to have fun, rock out, get some feedback from people. The talent show was supposed to go on twice, so that every grade could see it.

For the first show, everything seemed fine until the singer started to sing. It was impossible to hear him. I just assumed that I couldn't hear because I was so close to the amps, but it turned out that the mic wasn't on. We had asked and asked the technical people to make sure the mic was on. And they would say "don't worry, don't worry. It'll be on." IDIOTS. The mic wasn't turned on until the the chorus.

For the second show, the mics were on... BUT, there was a stupid large screen that had something retarded written on it like "welcome to the talent show." Well, the motor burned out, so we did the whole song with the screen down. It was just the guitarist/singer and I in front of the screen. The drummer wasn't seen. And when the guitarist had to cue the drummer to solo, he had to get down his stomach and yell under the damn screen.

I knew talent shows were crappy, but I had no idea that they were so stupid to let this **** go on. But it makes sense that all of it happened to us because we were the first act. Trust me, there are good things about being first, but there are MANY bad things as well. ALL OF THE TECHNICAL DIFICULTIES WILL HAPPEN TO YOU.

I hope you enjoyed my story about the retarded talent show. We ended up having a good time but, hopefully, we will never have a show like this again.
  2. I'm assume this was at a school?

I've been in the audience and seen the horrors. The people here can manipulate the lights like a pro... but can't turn on a microphone.

Half of the night consisted of bands standing around and the audience shouting at the techies to "Turn on the damn mics!"
  3. My band played a school variety show, two nights. Everything went fine.

PLOT TWIST!: The song we played was a jazz waltz. A rock-jazz waltz. Over 6 minutes. With solos for everyone.

And the crowd was into it.

Now, the only REAL problem we had was plugging in everything behind the curtain, which was fine. We had no lights, so who's gonna blame us if we can't plug things in?

You say your guitar player had to get down on his stomach to tell the drummer when to start the solo?

If you guys had been together for a year, and learned the song, you should have had a system where the drummer KNEW THE SOLO WAS COMING. Be it that the guitar player plays a melody, or that you guys do stop time for like 2 bars, or you switch your bass line to something like 8th notes.

Learn from your mistakes. Make sure you have songs where it WON'T MATTER if you can't see each other.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Hey, when I was a kid and we had our school talent show, they made us go on last, and my band played about 4 bars before the bell rang and everyone ran out of the auditorium to go home. So at least you got to play!