Got any good quotes?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Guss, Oct 16, 2002.

1. I've got a speech class and a have a speech to give next week. Does anybody know a good or funny quote about musical instrumets, or just music in general?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    "It was pretty good. Even the music was nice."
    Yogi Berra, after attending an opera

"We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
    Decca Recording Company executive, turning down the Beatles, 1962

"You ain't goin' nowhere, son. You ought to go back to driving a truck."
    Jim Denny (Manager of the "Grand Ole Opry"), firing Elvis Presley after one performance, September 25, 1954

"The singer will have to go."
    Eric Easton (new manager of the Rolling Stones), assessing Mick Jagger's value to the group, 1963
  3. lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff.
    - Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)
  4. lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    I should have actually read the post, to realize it was about music. Oh well, a good quote anyways.
  5. Hmmm... actually I could put that in to confuse the audience.:D

Those are all great quotes, and I appreciate them, but maybe I should be more specific, maybe something that glorifies music or the bass guitar.:)
  6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Check my sig.

They might just go over everyone's head though since it would really take a bassist to appreciate them.

7. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    The two best bass quotes EVER in my opinion...:

"As bass players we have to realize there is a fine line between bass artistry and subharmonic weaponry."

"Bass players would soon become the standing armies of the world protecting their nations with the latest sub harmonic weaponry."
  8. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read. ---Zappa

Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid. ---Zappa
  9. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    You are the music while the music lasts.
    - T. S. Eliot

A jazz musician is a juggler who uses harmonies instead of oranges.
    - Benny Green

Music is the vernacular of the human soul.
    - Geoffrey Latham

Like everything else in nature, music is a becoming, and it becomes its full self, when its sounds and laws are used by intelligent man for the production of harmony, and so made the vehicle of emotion and thought.
    - Theodore Mungers

Music is your own experience, your own thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn. They teach you there's a boundary line to music. But, man, there's no boundary line to art.
    - Charlie Parker

There's a basic rule which runs through all kinds of music, kind of an unwritten rule. I don't know what it is. But I've got it.
    - Ron Wood

Enjoy, - Mike
  10. Since I was a little kid I've wanted to play the instrument that Charlie Parker played, but, my father said not 'till I was 18.

He said I was too young to have SAX!. :p

Mike J.
  11. here is one from Adrian Garcia's sig.

" it was a little out of tune, but the groove still sucked"
  12. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    "Whatever the level or situation you're playing at, my feeling is you've got to be a strong player. Bass is a strong instrument; you can't allow yourself to play it weakly, with no authority. You've got to play with an attitude because everybody's listening to the bass."

Chuck Rainey