1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Got any job ideas for me?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Axtman, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    First a little about me. I am 50 years old and live in the Pacific Northwest. I have worked for the past 25 years as an architect. Well yesterday I got laid off due to lack of work. I had only been at the firm for 17 months and joined because I got laid off by my previous employer. Actually that has been the story of my working career. I think that I have held 10 jobs since graduating in 1986.

Well I am tired of the cyclical nature of the construction business, not to mention the long hours and low pay. (Yes most architects make a meager salary.)

So now I am seriously considering a career change. I have always been interested in electronics and have been a life long tinkerer.

Does anybody have any ideas?

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Sleep lab technician?

-Mike

3. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    teacher perhaps?

4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Career change at 50 might be tough, not because you don't have talent to do something else but because a prospective employer may look at your age and wonder how long you may want to stick with his/her company. They may not want to make an investment in an employee that may stick around for only a handful of years before potential retirement.

With that being said I wish you the best of luck.

5. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    Evansville
    this has always baffeled me...don't the young realize one day they will have aged as well?

how's your level of fitness? I'm involved in HVAC and there is a massive shortage of GOOD technicians ...the controls side is less physically demanding and can be really challenging. I'm talking commercial industrial not residential. Plenty of tinkering and making mechanical / electrical stuff do what it's supposed to.

6. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    I am in good health and actually look 40!

I do understand that employers what cheap young workers that they can overwork. (This is a common problem among interns.)

I personally think this is a false economy.

Let's put this in terms of music since we are all musicians here. Let's say you are a professional solo artist and want to record a CD and go on tour. Would you hire beginners are just learning their instrument just because they are cheap? No way! The beginner would make a lot of mistakes and take forever to learn the song. Instead you would hire experienced professional studio musicians. Even though the pros will be expensive they will learn the parts quickly and will adapt to arrangement changes.

Same with architecture. Experienced people know what to draw and all the problems associated with building a structure. We know building codes, materials, products, and most of the issues that can arise in a complex building.

7. Project manager.

8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    I see this every day in the auto repair world. Management would just assume replace me (I'm 45 with 29 years experience) with some pimply faced Wyo Tech graduate (that likely couldn't fix a sandwich) so they could grind him to death for no money.

False economy? Heck yeah.

9. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    I have been looking for a decent job for the last 10 years. All I hear is that I'm overqualified since I have an M.B.A. and tons of experience in many areas and I'm 55 years old; plus, I have my own little business but no benefits and work is very difficult to get lately. If I was not playing in a band, I could not pay my bills. Anyway, I have a few job interviews coming up and working on a few other possible work opportunities and I sure hope something good happens.

My suggestion to the OP is to network as much as possible and broaden what type of technical work you might want to do. IT people are always in demand here.

10. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I've worked in labor relations and have done professional career counseling for a number of people in different areas of their career and education. I've forgotten more about organizational theory, I/O psychology, labor law, and micro economics than I care to think about. With all of that, in my experience, employers make some pretty damn irrational decisions. :rolleyes:

With that said, refusing to hire someone who's over 40 years old is illegal discrimination. Proving it beyond simply establishing a prima facie case, however, is unfortunately a different matter.

Wait! Then why did George from Seinfeld always lie and tell people that he was an architect? :D

11. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    The private sector being what it is will always overwork and underpay anyone they can. Therefore I suggest taking the civil service exam and try to get a goverment job. Be prepared to take the test several times and riding out a months long hiring process.

12. Did you ever think about applying at "green" companies like the ones that build solar panelings or wind turbines?

13. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    I turned 52 last week. After my 30 year career in the newspaper industry flamed out I realized I would have to find something that would be around for a while. I'm now employed as a jet bridge tech at the local airport. There are lot's of support jobs in transportation, maybe you can find something there.

14. Start your own business..... 25 years experience is enough, I have 10 in my field.

You need cards, a cell phone, computer and can have a print shop do your printing till you can afford a printer.

There is something very rewarding about making your own schedule and getting paid well.
    Its much easier than most people think.

15. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Massage therapist?

-Mike

16. Gigolo.

17. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    If I was in your position, and din't mind it not being a white collar gig...

I would look seriously into PLC programming /repair/ service.

that's the guy who maintains the automated manufacturing systems

18. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
  19. if you're considering electronics, won't you have to go back to school? Is that something you're prepared to do? Im back in school (BSN) at 35 and it sucks.

20. Why not try to find a job doing similar work? Project management for a contractor comes to mind, or site inspection. There is always lots to do in the construction industry, don't limit yourself to drawing stuff.

lowsound