Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got any music that's DIFFERENT?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jacob M, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Jacob M

Jacob M

Aug 28, 2004
    New York
    I mostly listen to really good old bands and nothing else, like Miles Davis, The Beatles, Black Sabbath etc.. I'm just bored by current music, it's all so simple and monotonous and boring to me, and I can't find anything that's interesting! I'm into a huge range of music (blues, jazz, funk, metal, punk, rock & roll, fusion, electronic stuff, whatever!), I'm just looking for anything that's good and different. I can't really tell what I'll like. I'm not opposed to simple stuff, and love the Sex Pistols and lots of other old Punk bands. I'm not opposed to heavy stuff, and love Children of Bodom. I'm not opposed to electronic stuff, and like bands like Mindless Self Indulgence and Gorillaz. I even listen to rap, like tupac, snoop, method man and nwa. I'm pretty much open to anything but pop-punk.

So if you make, or know of, any good music that's out there, that's weird, that's under-appreciated, that's experimental, that's ahead of it's time, please, share it with me!

2. waxbass

waxbass

Nov 13, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Here's a couple things that I've been into lately that I think are very original:

Modest Mouse - check em out. I can't put my finger on it but I can't turn it off either.

Soul Coughing - Simply incredible. They only made 3 records but each one is unbelievably original and brilliant.

Waxapples - You may not have heard of these folks but it's worth a listen. Check out waxapples.com

Happy listening.

3. Bela fleck and the flecktones is weird, underappreciated, experimental, ahead of it's time and AMAZING.

4. Yeah, and their new CD is great too. Check it out!

Their web site is kinda crappy though. They should fire their webmaster.

- Dave

5. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Opeth - Blackwater Park

Dillenger Escape Plan - Miss Machine

Bela Fleck & the Flecktones - Little Worlds

Kila - Lune Park (this is a must buy!)

Dream Theater - Scenes From a Memory

Anathema - A Natural Disaster

Katatonia - Viva Emptiness

King Crimson - The Power to Believe

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Mr. Bungle (and why not their idol, John Zorn, although he's just too much for me to handle). Eclectic stuff. The album "Disco Volante" is a must hear, love it or hate it.

Nils Petter Molvaer and others of his kind, who began blending jazz with breakbeats and other electronic influences. Try Molvaer's first album, "Khmer". You could say that Miles may have sounded something like that had he been living in the 2000's.

Steve Roach, a real master of the endlessly droning ambient style of music. If you dig that kind of thing.

Bozzio/Torn/Karn's "Polytown" project is quite "different", and occasionally brilliant.

Mats & Morgan - Swedish guys, very hard to find (although you can order their stuff from the website), influenced by Zappa and Captain Beefheart. Taste some samples at www.morganagren.com. Their Live album is just too cool.

Allan Holdsworth - guitar legend, totally unique fellow. Writes some odd but beautiful music, it's jazz while it sounds like nothing of the sort.

Devin Townsend - also a special guy, mostly writes a kind of melodic industrial metal (?). Mostly more melodic rock than industrial, but sometimes it's the other way around. His productions are very dense, which could be a bit tiring to listen to if you're used to older music.

Those Sleepytime guys seemed like a cool bunch too!

7. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Check out Squarepusher and Aphex Twin.

8. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Alamaailman Vasarat - "Hammers of the Underworld", a Finnish band that has a bass clarinetist, 2 cello players, pump organ and various other instruments. Great struff.
    www.vasarat.com

Kuha - another Finnish band, they take a cue from Zappa and Bungle as well. I really enjoy this band and they're nice guys from what I can tell due to my e-mails with their guitarist.
    www.kuha.fi

Sleepytime is great, too. Dave, I talked to Nils about you at the Gainesville show, only good things were said :)

Naked City - love it/hate it stuff. John Zorn, as mentioned above, produced and played on this album. It goes from great jazz to really terrible grindcore, so it's not for the faint of heart. But hey, it's no Leng Tch'e - Torture Garden.

Secret Chiefs 3 - My favorite band. I can't say a lot about them, because their (really his, Trey Spruance) music speaks for it self.
    www.webofmimcry.com

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...two albums I only recently picked up(I shoulda owned them a long time ago, too!).
    John Zorn/Naked City-Naked City
    John Zorn/Naked City-Radio...the opening tune , "Asylum", should make your head spin.

10. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    My band Firkinah Souls is labeled as "What the Hell, Experimental" all the time. People seem to love it.

If you want a CD let me know and Ill get you one. This goes for anyone else as well.

:smug: SHAMELESS PLUG. :smug:

11. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Oingo Boingo or anything by Danny Elfman.

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That 1 Guy

www.that1guy.com

A truely entertaining and bizarre one man band.

13. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    +1, he is whakado

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    And, quite furiously, I missed him on the 13th because I didn't know he was playing here until the 14th.

15. you mean this1guy?

[​IMG]

:D

He's a hoot. Definitely worth checking out. He's on tour right now too. Check out his web site.

- Dave

16. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Im gonna say listen to any Sigur Ros and Kid A by Radiohead.Seriously.... do it you won't be dissapointed

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    If you have insomnia.