Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got any nickle round-wound reccomendations?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jacob M, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Jacob M

Jacob M

Aug 28, 2004
    New York
    I've got a bass with a korina body, maple neck and ebony fingerboard. I'm looking for a tight, focused sound with good mids that isn't too bright or abrasive, so I was thinking nickle wound-rounds would be a good bet. Does anyone have any specific reccomendations for some good strings to try out, hopefully under $25.?

Thanks alot,
    Jacob

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Ironman Strings. Distributed by bassguitarstrings.us (or Tappel on here)
    PM him for details, or I've got a spare set that I'd be willing to send your way for a bit.

3. Deepwoods

Deepwoods Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
  4. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Can't really miss with good ol' D'Addario XL

5. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    Fenders 7150 "Original Bass" pure nickel rounds. I find them perfect for my J bass. Warm tone for fingerstyle and nice (not harsh) highs for occasional slap. Sort of old school vibe IMO. Also gentle to fingers as their winding does not extent too much from the string surface (D'Addarios XL are harsher in this respect).
    http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/fe71orstflba1.html

6. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Most brands that I know of 'Should' run you less that $25. (excluding tax and/or shipping). I often recommend going to
    www.juststrings.com or some other mail order/on-line company IF you can't find what you are looking for locally.

Good luck........

BTW, I don't believe in the 'hype' many string companies claim than makes thier Strings cost more than the other 'majors'. I also don't think you should fall victum to an over zealous dealer charging 'list' for strings or any price with less than a 40-50% discount. The String Prices/discounts in this business needs some major reform. List price is SO misleading. I fought with Bass Player magazine a few years ago to use 'street price' comparasions in thier 'Buyer's Guide' so that players could get a 'clue' of what things 'actually cost' !!

7. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    can pick em' up at any local music store...

8. opivy3056

opivy3056 Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    I bought a set of the d'addario xl's. They're growly like the dickens :p. But I cant decide if i like them or not. I imagine that they would suite your tastes perfectly. I dont know if they're bright enough for mine though.

9. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    DR Sunbeams do the trick for me! Easy on the fingers and the tension is on the low side. Good for fingerstyle and probably not the greatest for heavy pick playing- at least in the gauge I use (45-65-80-100). Warm sound with really nice midrange.
    D' Addario XL's are almost as good and cost less. :)

10. Aww c'mon, go ahead and say it. Your strings are the best.

11. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    With all the varieties of bass strings available, I'm still partial to a nickel roundwound for most of my fretted basses. The exceptions are my P Bass (I use La Bella Deep Talkin rounds stainless on that) and my Pedulla Buzz (I prefer compression wound strings like SIT Silencers or Smith Compressors). Ken nailed it in his post; never pay full list price for strings.

Thanks for the recommendation, Tim! Yes, I distribute my own strings. I don't market them heavily, so they're unknown to most people.

Jacob, PM me if you're interested. I'll hook you up.

Tom

12. I like Fender original nickels. My latest set has been on for over 2 months and the sound is still quite bright, while very very warm. And to think I used to change steels every month!

13. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I've been using D'Addario XL nickels for about 500 years now. But I'm actually thinking of going totally crazy and trying something else, just because.