Got any tips for starting a band

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by willo_bass17, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Hey ppl starting ma first band can i hav some help with who ma new members (like the same style of music, commitment etc)

Thanx heaps,
  2. First off, you have to get along, be into the same style of music, or be willing to grow into a new sound, unless you are forming a tribute band.
    If your looking to form a tribute band, look for people who look like they're trying to rip off said bands style, if they can play they can probably only play that bands stuff.
    If your going original, try the local music stores, post flyers there. Detail the style of music you play in your flyyers. You might also try the band building at your local high school/college. My first band ended up practicing in the band building at the local college. But we eventually got kicked out due to shiesty professors. You got the hardest thing to find, next to a good drummer, a good bassist. You can't really find good bassist. I'm became a bassist for that very reason, haven't looked back since, I love playing bass and wouldn't go back, unless you payed me alot, and I mean alot of money.
    Hope I helpped at least a little
  3. Also you should help us by filling out your profile. So we can tell what kinda stuff you're into. If you don't feel like it, I wouldn't hold it against you.
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    You may want to post this question in the Band Management forum here at TB, and do some reading while you are there. Here is a quick link: Band Management.

5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    He's got a point. It's like making a conscious decision to build angst, tragedy, hard feelings, and engendering rage in general.

My advice?

Get a drum machine; it won't sleep with your sister.
  6. I didn't mean to sleep with your sister. I'm sorry.
  7. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    correct grammar helps so we don't have to read over the post a few times to figure out what it says

putting a thread in the correct forum will aslo get you more replies.

other than that, just put ads out man. start going to gigs at bard or club and just start talking to people.
  8. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    That was exactly my point. Being in bands is NOT fun. Its a lot of work, a lot of emotional crap that gets dragged into your day to day life, and a constant stream of letdowns.

Its also the only way many of us are happy playing our music. I just had yet another band fall apart on me. Drummer had issues, couldn't practice, two guitarists went and joined a new band without telling me etc.

I'm hanging it up for a while. I'm going back to the solo artist with a home studio deal, I want to write songs, not massage egos and play head games.
  9. sorry about the grammar mistakes, i'm used to typing on msn
  10. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Evidently the push to start a new band is coming from you. Here's what I advise. You need to have a clear vision of what kind of band you want. What style of music? Original or covers? What instrumental make up? Examples: (1)Two guitars, bass, drums, keys, lead vocalist or (2) banjo, string bass, mandolin, fiddle, acoustic guitar.

What is the purpose of the band? Garage jamming, gigging, recording, touring, MTV videos?

How often will your band meet to jam or rehearse? Who will market the band and try to get gigs? How will any earnings be shared or will some part of earnings go back into the band for equipment such as a sound system or a van for gigs? Where will you meet to practice? Will you rent a place or do you have a place? If you rent, who pays?

Will you allow women in the band or do you want all guys? Do you want a drug and smoke-free band or are you willing to accept anything as long as the musician plays well? Do you have an age limit, either minimum or maximum?

Once you have a clear idea of what you want and how big a band you want, advertise for members in your local music store, local school or university newspaper, laundromat or library. Make sure your ad states the style, expectations, age range if you care, and give a phone number or e-mail.

Be prepared to try a number of musicians until you find a "perfect" mix, (which may take you the rest of your life.) Be prepared to lose musicians you really valued and to struggle with musicians you need to fire. Be prepared to spend much of your time as a politician, diplomat, psychologist and father-confessor. You will need those skills to keep your band together as much as you need to play your bass really well.

Finally, be willing to walk away. Sometimes the person who starts a band, ends up deciding to leave it for whatever reason. Also, some times the one who starts the band ends up being ASKED to leave it, because bands have a way of taking on a life of their own.

It takes energy, courage, ambition and hard drive to start a band from scratch and make it work. The experience can be extremely rewarding, extremely frustrating or both at the same time.