1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Got back on the bicycle today!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by richnota, Sep 21, 2008.

1. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    I haven't been able to ride my bike for a couple of years. I was a complete biking fanatic: doing hundreds of miles off road bike-trekking all over.

Then i got myself some nerve damage in my hands from doing renovation work (scrape wood too long).

The hands got better but i gained a lot of weight. Not conducive to riding.

So I took my bike to the shop--got a very upright stem to keep the weight back. Tightened all the bolts and off i go.

Rode a massive six miles on the trail. :eek: I know its pathetic, but it was fantastic to be riding again.

Any of you take a long time off and get back into cycling?

My trusty bike (Dean Titanium with S&S couplers and special fat boy seat)

IMG_0007.

2. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Nice bike (long live the hardtail!). :)

It's been over 4 years since I stopped being serious about riding, and I miss it a lot. Keep rolling, man, and the fitness will return.

3. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I didn't know Jaguar made bicycles ;)

4. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Both my BMX and my MTB are screwed. Bent rims. Would love to get them fixed and get riding again.

5. Damn you... I came here just to post a smart-aleck Jag comment and you stole my thunder. :atoz:

6. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    I regret buying a dualie. I much prefer hardtails. Especially since I live in the city and the most I ever do is hoon around streets and go down stairs.

7. mwm70

mwm70

Oct 27, 2004
    Baltimore
    Can't see the pic, but I am a Dean Colonel owner myself. Been entirely to long since I hit any dirt.

8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I took almost 2 years off (blown back), and finally replaced the road bike with a hardtail MTB (well, I still have the road bike) - I love riding the MTB!

9. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Love the hardtail. Here's mine. Specialized M4.

IMG_0691.

10. I think I've only been on my mountain bike twice this year.

11. 3 kids & everything associated w/them keep me in semi-retirement, so every ride is like starting all over again. I did plod up a small local hill on Saturday, only to call in rescue wife due to a front-tire slow leak's preventing me from enjoying the descent. That was on my '06 FSR XC Comp; I also have an '05 Cannondale Gemini 900, but for TB- & self-respect's sake I'll mention my two(slowly being restored)hardtail MTBs: A '95-6 Retrotec & an '83 Lawwill-Knight Pro Cruiser(usually set up as a SS).

12. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    It's even in surf lifesaver colours. :D

Lifesavers in the US do wear yellow and red, right? :atoz:

13. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    No. We're red and white and navy blue.

14. I have a 15-year-old Nishiki mountain bike that's decent quality, and my wife has the matching one. We ride them occasionally. I've tried commuting the 5 miles to work on mine, but it's not very compatible with business attire.

Between bad roads, careless drivers and a number of previous cases of road rash, I vastly prefer to stay off city streets and keep my riding on trails. In city areas, I ride on sidwalks wherever possible. I like staying alive and there are many places where bikes scare me.

15. richnota

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    Good Eye (bad picture)....its Dean Colonel that was custom sized for my full figure + panniers.

The guys at Dean were fantastic to deal with.

16. richnota

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    They don't... did i mention i drove my gorgeous silver 2007 Jaguar XK to the riding area?:ninja:

17. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    My bike came with rear shocks, too. My back's too bad to chance it otherwise.

But I love riding that damn thing. I'll often bypass riding the bus just because.

18. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Power to you. Hope the renewal is easy on you.

I've taken to riding to/from work just about full time now. It's 14km/ 8 miles each way. Did it four times last week.

I'm riding a GT Passage cross trainer that I bought new in 1993. It has roughly 11,000 miles on it.

Turned 50 in March and feeling more fit than when I was 20.

Happy trails Rich.

19. I also have back problems in the form of scoliosis, but my biking has never really messed with it. The key is to get a bike that's your size and not just fit to you. I'd encourage anyone who has back problems to get a professional fitting. Yeah, it's expensive and the additional power you gain probably only benefits racers, BUT the comfort and proper angles is so much more friendly on the back and other joints. Roughly 8 hours a week on my road bike (give or take depending on weather and work hours) and I feel great!!!

20. richnota

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    My Dean was a custom; I was able to get it perfect after years of expensive trial and error. For example I know I need a 5" headtub

But you can get a great fit without going custom.

One lookout is many bike shop employees use their own riding style as model--great if you're a racer, maybe bad if you're not. They try to get you into a very low, high output position. If you have extra "mass" it doesn't work.

The serotta fit kit is a great device. Allows you to experiment.