Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got bass, Got 6 GRAND?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    WOW, is the the going price for an Alembic Rogue:eek: I have nothing Alembic, I have a Rogue 5 myself, but MAN OH MAN, is does the 6 grand you spend on this get you!:meh:

I will post a attachment pic of what mine looks like, and will try to figure out in the mean time the ALMOST 4000$ PLUS difference,
    :meh: I must admit, its Sweet!

Heres the link to the very expensive bass below,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2368952454&category=4713

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yeah, those guys post a lot of new Alembic's up on eBay. Looks like they're trying to get close to the MSRP. Nice basses, but I wouldn't pay that much, even for a new one. I haven't spent more than 1500 bucks for any one of the Alembics I own, and they're all a lot prettier than that one.

3. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    You may be 100% right, my question is when I picked up mine YEARS ago, aprx 1988 I think, I payed close to 3000$, and my bass does not have the Ziricote cote or the Leds,Have the Rogues gone up that much or features added to them that cause the price to go to where it is?including the Ziricote top and the Leds

I personally am not saying this guy is not straight up, if the bass is worth that, then it is what it is, Alembics are Great basses,I would just like to know what all the features it has besides what was already mentioned that make it different from what I have:meh:

4. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
  5. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i can't imagine seeing any alembic going for $1500… maybe theyve just been raising their prices like mad like everybody else these days

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Those are selling for over the normal 30% off of list that you get at a dealer. I don't know if the same rule applies to Alembics, but based on the list price those are too much.

Dealers that by Alembics on speculation really get me. I know a couple of Alembic dealers that have had the same basses hanging on the wall for years. Very nice basses, but if I spend that kind of coin, I will pick all the woods and options myself, thank you. I don't want some dealer's 4 year old idea of a dream bass.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

There have been $15K Alembics for several years. If you want to go all out with woods, 27 piece laminates, triple Omega cutouts and such. I have seen a couple that listed for over $20K.

I always say whatever the market will bear, but Alembic charges a lot more than other builders for premium woods.

8. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    It is not difficult to get an Alembic for 30% off list as Embellisher noted. I don't see any reason to pay more than that. Also, if I were to buy another new Alembic, I'd make all the wood and option choices myself and watch it come together.

As for the list price of the Rogue on eBay, Alembic raised their prices about 25 - 30% a few months ago. On one hand, that's a pretty steep increase. 30% of an already big number is a pretty big number. On the other hand, they had gone several years (about 5 I think) without raising prices, so they kinda caught up in one big bite. Rogue 5 strings now start at $5,600 was about $4,300 last year). Ziricote and side LEDs add another $2,070. Don't know what other options are tossed in for the additional $600.

Timmy Tucker...It is possible to get used Alembics in the $1,500 - 2,000 range. Depends on the model, the options, and how attached the seller really is to it. I've bought Series I & Series II instruments for as little as $475 (lonnnng story) and sold them for as much as $2,800. Lesser models transact at even lower prices on the used market, so $1,500 for a decent mid-range model is possible.

Peace,

James

9. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

There's an Orion 5 on the classifieds on TB right now for $1300, asking price. Check out eBay, you can definitely get one for under a grand, for the lower end models.

10. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Are you joking? That's quite a price for a not-so-rare or expensive wood! That amount of ziricote is about $50-75. And its not even fancy ziricote! Once again I feel like I'm missing something...

11. He may be a swell guy, but all those basses are overpriced.

12. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    I always say whatever the market will bear, but Alembic charges a lot more than other builders for premium woods. [/B][/QUOTE]

Is this because of the Name Alembic:meh:

13. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Well, I'll relate three Alembic stories.

One is, Alembic treats their reps very well, and they usually get a free bass or two every year. One rep in particular that I know of has a whole garage full of 'em, and it's a shame 'cause he rarely gets to play 'em (too busy selling basses I suppose). But I happened to catch him one day when his credit cards were maxed out and he needed to pay off his truck, and he sold me a super mondo custom one-of-a-kind 5-string for all the money I had in the world at that time, which was $970.00 in cash.

Another is, for a while I played a 3/4 standard fretless model with the Europa electronics, and LEDs and all that jazz, I got it from a guy who just discovered F basses and swore up and down that he'd never touch another Alembic as long as he lived. Alembic had a really bad reputation with fretless basses for a while, and I was dubious when I heard he wanted to sell a used one, but after playing it I got pretty excited and just casually off the cuff I asked him if he'd be willing to take 500 bucks for it ('cause everyone knows Alembic can't make a fretless, and fully expecting to be laughed right out of the room), and he said "make it six and you've got a deal".

And finally, there was the Series I that I rescued from demolition, that's a very long story, but let's just say the bass was free and I spent about a grand fixing it up.

So they're out there, if you're patient you can find a nice Alembic for a decent price. A new Alembic is like a new Cadillac, the microsecond it leaves the showroom floor it's lost half its value. Probably the more expensive it is, the more likely that would be true.

So why pay prices like that, unless, like people have been saying, you can get one built to your exact specifications and watch it come to life?

I'll be the first to say that Alembic's are some of the finest basses in the world (I own several of them at the moment, and I like 'em all), and even the cheap ones are pretty amazing, but if I'm going to spend 11k for bass I'll want to know which village in Sri Lanka the ebony came from, and I'm gonna ask 'em to cut the nuts special for the type of strings I like. Any way you cut it, that's a lot of money, and you can get "several" (at least) very nice basses for that kind of loot.

By the way, here's an interesting Alembic you don't see every day:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2370288200&category=4713

14. Jodaka

Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    based on looks, a lot of alembics look like a glorified b.c. rich wet dream. that's not to say that the tones are in the same league. although i agree that these seem to be way over-priced, the one that got me was one of the featured basses on their site. it went for over 32k. pass the ky, please...

jdkh

15. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    That's sorta like saying "Gee, that Sadowsky looks an awful lot like an Austin I almost bought". Or "That Ferrari has the same number of tires as my Geo Metro!"

For MOST peoples' tastes, a new top end Alembic (Rogue, Signature, or Series) is priced beyond logic and sensibility. On the other hand if you follow this link you'll see that they ain't hurtin' for new business

Custom Alembics Being Built

This one is my favorite of the more recently completed ones.
    [​IMG]

Makes mine look drab by comparison.
    [​IMG]

Peace,

James