Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got booted from the band...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sundogue, May 14, 2003.

1. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Well, I got an e-mail saying my band's old (original) bass player wanted back in...

So, they told me that I was out and he was in. No problem with my playing, my attitude, nothing...just wanted their old bass player back.

So, after playing music (bass) for over 25 years, I am calling it quits. I'm getting rid of my gear and crossing over to the dark side of acoustic guitar.

I've done this in the past, where I left a band or it broke up and I'd just trade all my gear in on an acoustic guitar to play by myself (and I'm quite an accomplished guitar player too).

So, I'm done playing in bands for good. Until this last band wanted me to play two years ago, I was going to retire anyway. There are no other band situations I really want to be involved in, so I'm hanging it up for good this time.

Good luck to you all. Its been fun here.

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that's too bad, man. don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, though - you oughta keep your gear. there's always a spot for a good bassist - give it a try and see if you can find a band that would dig your input.

3. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Im sorry to hear that...But i dont think its a reason to stop playing. If you love what you do i dont think being kicked out of a band is a reason to stop. If they didnt appreciate your contribution as a Bass player i am sure someone else will. It may take a while to find them but i think there are too many possiblilities to just trade in your gear and stop playing all together. :) Mike

4. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    There are a million bands out there. You might find one better than your old band...so keep your gear!!!
    :bassist:

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    How about doing some solo bass gigs? It works for Steve Lawson and Michael Manring.

6. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    one of the biggest regrets I have in life was quitting the bass after 8 years because of a job that didn't seem to allow time for it...I didn't think I would pick back up again---but life changes and so did I. If it's one of your passions I think you might consider keeping your gear and not closing the door completely.
    good luck in whatever you choose to do.:)

7. tyson

tyson

Feb 9, 2000
    Dallas, TX
    i think playing in a band is only one of the million reasons to play bass.... most of my playing is done alone...playing in a band is just a byproduct of that... i personally don't like having to deal with too many people and all their various oppinions. maybe this is why i dig the 3 person band the best. if your first love really is acoustic guitar, go for it...but i know so many talented musicians (not me of course) that just keep on playing a plethora of instruments and switching between them without a second thought. it sounds like you have the ability to do just that.

8. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    It looks like your "give up bass" any time adversity happens might be the reason they want their old bassist back. Good luck on acoustic.

9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    You know, the EXACT same thing happened to me last year, we all got along great, and the band's old bass player and longtime "buddy" wanted back in, and they gave me the pink slip in an e-mail, even though I was by far the better bassist.

I was pretty pissed, hurt, depressed, yada yada yada. I too considered just hanging everything up and selling my gear. I stuck it out, placed some ads, and couldn't find another good gig (this was a REALLY good gig, perfect material, great pay, great venues). I eventually decided that I missed playing so much that I took a gig with a mediocre band that really wasn't my cup of tea, but it made me feel better.

Here's the kicker. The band that canned me ended up calling me back, 6 or so months later, wanting me back in. Of course, you start weighing the "screw you" and the "sure!" responses in your head. In the end, we met and talked over a few beers, I got an apology, got to take a few friendly verbal jabs, and all is well once again and I'm a happy SOB. Of course, I threatened them with severe bodily injury if they ever did that to me twice.

I can understand if you want to sell your gear, but so long as you really don't need the bread right away, I think it might be more prudent just to pack all the stuff away for 6 months to see what happens and how you feel. I say, once a musician, always a musician, its an addiction that you won't be able to get out of your blood no matter how hard you try.

My biggest fear in life is being 65 years old and scrounging for gigs . . . I sure hope jazz combos are big in the future!

10. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Maybe you should keep a "small rig" and a bass or two. The acoustic guitar gig is awesome. I love doing that. But why limit yourself? Even if you don't play bass for another band, you can play bass for your own projects. Actually, maybe that's the thing to do. Stop playing bass in another persons band, and start your own project.

Also, you can still post here even if you stop playing bass. As fellow musicians, we still have a lot in common with guitar players and whatnot.

Good luck in your decision.

11. Hey Sundogue,
    Hang in there, man. The same thing happened to me last month. I got booted out of a band because the old bass player was back in town, and they decided he was a better musical and personal fit for them. It happens. I had my other band to fall back on, but it was still a bit of a blow to the 'ol pride.
    Hopefully, the bug to play will bite you again and you'll get back out there!

12. haiku

haiku

Apr 6, 2002
    this could be your chance.
    getting fired means freedom.
    quitting bass does not...

13. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Thanks for the responses.

Well, being a bass player for as long as I have does not necessarily mean that "retiring" is an absolute.

As I've said before, I have gone from being a bass player to playing acoustic guitar (strictly for my own amusement), every time I've been bandless. And I have gone back again when a situation presented itself.

Obviously I've come back to it before. But, at this time in my life and in the area I live in, there really is no viable situation for me to go to.

There is not a band or a group of musicians around here worth pursuiing. I've got fairly high standards as to the kind of musicians I will play with. To play simply for the sake of playing is not good enough.

Which is why I go to acoustic guitar. To play just for the sake of playing music. Nothing more.

I really should have seen it coming. When I went into my "first" retirement...this band called me up and asked if I wanted to join them. Of course I wanted to as they are simply the best group of musicians around this area, bar none.

But, the bass player changed his mind about leaving and they kept him for another year before he "supposedly" left for good. Then I hooked up with them and for the past two years I've been in band nirvana.

Despite the kick in the guts...there is just no one else around here worth playing with (I know it sounds conceited...but it's true). It would be more depressing to play music I don't care for or to play with a group of musicians that are (for lack of a better term) talentless. This is no metropolis here and quality musicians, or at least the right kind of gigs, are scarce.

I am too depressed about it to really do much about it at the moment . But at least playing guitar for myself will keep me playing.

14. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Keep your gear and start your own band

15. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    No offense, but isn't it a bit childish to give away all your gear because some band wanted their old bassist back? There's other bands, there's opportunities for solo performances...I'm not telling you not to pick up acoustic guitar -- there's always gigs in that, but don't sell your bass gear because your pride got a bruise.

16. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    on second thought I'll take the Max pre amp

I just read your profile:D

17. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I to was fired from a band.

I was gonna sell all my stuff, and buy a guitar rig.
    Glad I didn't. A very well known local band asked me to join, and I have been a giging happy bassist ever since.

I just saved up for that guitar rig.

I play guitar in another smaller band to let out my guitar riffs. More for fun then real giging.

18. tyson

tyson

Feb 9, 2000
    Dallas, TX
    give me your gear.
    i need a nice head and cab.

Edit:
    and i'm sure your basses are pretty sweet too. just send them all my way.

19. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Wausau, Wisconsin! I'm in Appleton.

Anyway, you gotta do what's right for you, man. If your heart's not into what you're doing, you're probably better off doing something else. Good luck to you, whatever you decide to do!

FWIW, I've been where you are (several times, actually) and I thought about giving it all up too.

20. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Childish it is not. I planned on retiring before I joined this band anyway. It was only because of this band that I chose not to.

This is not a big area and I know almost every musician around here. Starting a band is too time consuming with my lifestyle. That is NOT an option.

I'm just ready to hang it up. I've already done everything I wanted to do with my music career. This band just provided me with a musical outlet, part time and no stress. It was THE perfect situation for me. Apparently not with them, although they never indicated having any problems with me, either as a person or a musician. They just wanted to bring back their original bass player. So be it.

I'm 42 and married with three kids. I have no desire to start any new band at this point in my life.