1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Got burned on eBay - what would you guys do?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TheFantod, Oct 17, 2009.

1. TheFantod

TheFantod #5 of the Pentaverate. Took Col. Sanders' spot.

Aug 7, 2009
    Eastern N.C.
    I recently got a pedal off eBay for which I paid amount "X." The seller's page claimed it was in "very good working order." He also stated "no refunds."

When I got the pedal, the bypass was fried, and the pedal itself sounded like garbage. I contacted the seller and he agreed help pay for repair. I sent the pedal off to a reputable pedal repair pro, who sent it back to me basically calling it a doorstop and unrepairable.

I contacted the seller, who then stopped responding to my e-mails. I filed a claim with Paypal for a full refund. Today the seller sent me a counter-offer for half of my money.

So now I'm in a quandary. If I accept the counter-offer I'm short half my cash. If I deny it, I may get 100% back, or I may get nothing back.

Anyone have experience with this? I thought I read once Paypal's definition of "good working order" as extremely vague, and that they usually favor the seller.

What would you do?

Tim

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I would only accept a full refund. I've done this through the Paypal dispute process twice. The deal is, you send the pedal back to the seller, with a tracking number. You provide the tracking number to Paypal. The seller confirms they received the unit back. And Paypal refunds your money.

IME these deals where the seller offers to pay for part of the deal to cover some work by somebody else, nearly always end badly. It's tempting to ask for a partial refund to cover repairs, but forget it. Insist on a full refund, and return the item.

3. What would I "do"? Probably refuse the offer, then send it back to the slimy seller. Take pics, and get that tracking number to the guy and to PayPal... but MOST of all... get your pedals via craigslist not eBay.

4. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Refuse the offer, follow the pay-pal resolution procedure, get your money, neg the guy's feedback.

5. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Use the system and get all the $ back. But make sure to do everything EXACTLY as Paypal directs or you're likely to be out of luck.

6. ^ This. and esp. NEG the sellers feedback. I will not even consider a seller with few sales, nor one with poor feedback.

7. Brick Top

Brick Top

Dec 7, 2008
    Michigan
    If the guys selling page said " No Refunds" ....I don't see where you have a case.

Cheers,
    BT

8. Believe it or not, this could very well be meaningless. I'm not even sure why eBay offers that description option to sellers.

The BUYER has the upper hand in 99% of dispute cases. OP just needs to pursue every available avenue of claims through both eBay and PayPal, and he will get a full refund.

9. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    The item is not as the seller said it was. You need to get your money back and use the legit processes of filing your complaint against the seller. The fact that he's offering half the money back up front sounds fishy as if he knew the item was defective to begin with, and now he's scrambling to deal with the issues he's brought on himself. Of course you can't prove that, but his claim of it being in good working condition when he sold it has turned out to be false. His ' all sales final ' disclaimer is useless in this case as well, as he didn't deliver what he said he would under terms of the sale.

10. yybass

yybass

Mar 24, 2009
    Bongomania is spot on, you will not lose, i had the same experience involving $2,310.00.

11. AnchorHoy

AnchorHoy

Dec 29, 2008
    New Jersey
    If you take PayPal - and FeeBay has made that virtually mandatory now - that statement means absolutely nothing

File for SNAD (Significantly Not As Described), send the item back with Delivery Confirmation so that the delivery can be confirmed online, and PayPal will refund in full without the seller being able to prevent it. They will unilaterally take the $ out of the seller's account and refund it, regardless of any "evidence" (besides the Delivery Confirmation) provided by either side to the dispute. Actually, if you were the dishonest type, you could simply send back an empty box with a DC sticker on it, and PayPal would refund your money just the same - one of the many reasons why so many good sellers have left the site in the past couple of years

Since the WalMart Wonderboy took over the reins of FeeBay All cards are now in the buyer's hand, including feedback - sellers can only leave Positive or none at all