Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got Counterparts today

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Jul 10, 2002.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I know it's been around for a few years, but I thought I would get some new Rush. (new Rush for me = everything after Presto) I must say, this album is great, even after one listen. My favorite tracks so far are Between Sun and Moon and Animate (is Geddy using a pick on that song, is sure sounds like it, or is that just his wierd finger nail) I love the artwork on the CD also. Makes me want to go out and buy TFE, RTB, and Vapor Trails.

What are your opinions on this album.

p.s. Also bought Raging Slab's "Sing Monkey Sing" album. It's a bit of a disappointment as I love Dynamite Monster Boogie Concert. I still think it's a good album, maybe I just need to let it grow on me. Mark Middleton is in a local cover band where I live.

2. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    That is my favourite RUSH album. There are just so many great tunes! Stick it out, Cold Fire and Leave that thing alone are some other great tracks. Don't get carried away tho', TFE and VT are not nearly as good IMO.

3. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    It's just the finger nail thing. He moves it quickly back and forth across a string for a slightly different rhythm feel than using two fingers. I've tried it, and the technique also reduces fatigue on songs where there's a constant rhythm throughout the song.

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    to be honest, i think that, of the 4 cds you mentioned, counterparts is actually the worst - not that it's bad, i like it a lot, but i think that roll the bones is better, and tfe and vapor trails i think are both some of the best stuff they've done since the 80's.

and yeah, seamus is write, in fact, geddy never plays bass with a pick.

5. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I like Counterparts much better than T4E and VT... it's a close second behind RTB for me.

I think it had some of the best lyrics Neil's done in a long time. Imho the lyrics of T4E and VT don't measure up at all. Very tasteful use of synthesizers, too.

Leave That Thing Alone totally rocks!!! The whole album is really fun to play along with...

6. From a song standpoint, I think Counterparts is Rush's best work, post-Grace Under Pressure. It's the album where they really returned to their roots, as far as being a guitar-bass-drums trio. Seeing them do "Between Sun & Moon" live on this tour was a real treat.

7. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Wow - that's in their setlist? Cool! Anything else from Counterparts or RTB? I'm still thinking about whether to buy lawn seats for Sunday's show... [not as much of a Rush fan as I used to be...]

8. Tim,
    If my memory serves me, they also did "Leave That Thing Alone" from Counterparts and from Roll The Bones they did "Dreamline", "Bravado", and the title track.
    And as far as going to the show.. do it! You won't be sorry. I recommend going to the ticket window about 45 minutes before show time and seeing what they've got.. two guys I drove up to Charlotte with got front row seats that were apparently released at the last minute.

9. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Cool! Thanks Dave! :cool:

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    here's some setlist info

http://www.rusharchives.com/setlist.shtml

warning : spoilers. :D

i saw them twice, charlotte and raleigh, and it was totally worth the drive and everything. i plan on going to nashville too.

11. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Ditto, cool tune. For most of the song, the bass line is just out and out FUN.

Seeing them on Sunday, can't wait, it's been so long!

12. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    JT - thanks for the link!! Holy moly, that setlist is fantastic!!!!

Seamus, maybe I'll see you there!

I am going to a bachelor party in NYC on Saturday, so we'll see how much cash I have when I get back! :eek:

13. Just in case you haven't seen it, there's a Vapor Trails thread a little further down the list. I'm enjoying hearing from concert attendees. Thanks for that set list! Wish I could make their gig here in Sept. but I won't be able to.:(

14. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm seeing them in Chicago the day after you leave town:D

15. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    The other week I went out and bought TFE and vapor trails. The only other rush album i had before that was moving pictures. TFE and VP are really different from moving pictures, but I still like them a lot. My favorite track from TFE has got to be virtuality. I also ordered 5 other rush cd's from cdnow but they haven't come yet. And it's been two weeks!! Dang postal service always losing stuff.:mad: