... got Drome 12 ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LuoLi, Jun 20, 2002.

1. LuoLi

Apr 2, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I bought it at r2musical off the specials page. Let me say Rawn was very cool to deal with.

I was looking to buy the preamp he stil has up there and get a power amp. I would've use the speakers I already have. The problem is I'm not in a gigging band right now, and most stuff these days is going to be in someone's basement. Buying the preamp, I'd still have to carry a 65 lb cabinet around. The Drome 12 is 38 lbs.

First of all, this sounds almost as big as my SWR WM 300 & Eden 2x10XLT. It's quiet, and has a very powerful EQ. The bass response is really good for something this size. The character (tube simulator) button sounds pretty good. Haven't tried the DI yet, so I don't know what's up with that. The effects loop is really good (it's stereo) haven't tried the Bass eraser stuff yet either.

I usually plug my Status Classic S-2 in there, and it has a really good slap tone. Fingerstyle is pretty cool as well. It sounds good with my Dean (passive) bass.

The verdict is this thing kicks ass. It's small, light, loud, and sounds really good. I don't expect to use this at a gig without PA support, or go toe to toe with a loud band. But for practice, and low volume gigs, it rocks.

btw.. anyone try out the EBS (hd)TD 650 ? Rawn has one listed and I was thinking about buying one. It's $1500, which is what one would pay new for a SM900 (I think).
  2. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Haven't tried this one out yet...I've tried its little bro, the HD350. I thought that thing kicked ass! Remarkable sound out of that little ditty:D

Actually, I'm a little surprised that EBS hasn't put it on their website...but, then again, they haven't put the EBS 2x12 up yet, either:rolleyes:
  3. LuoLi

Apr 2, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I know Rawn had the hd350 on his site a month or so before it showed up on the EBS site.

I was thinking of getting the hd350 but my SWR WM 300 is 270 watts at 4 ohms and the EBS is 350. That's not alot of difference. But the difference between 270 watts and 650 watts is more justification for buying the thing.

I did hear the 350 is damn loud though.
  4. A 270-watt SWR isn't going to be anywhere near as loud as a 350-watt EBS, owing to differences between the US and the EU in measuring power output. This is why 150-watt Trace Elliot heads can overpower 350-watt SWRs and Ampegs with aplomb.