Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got GAS, went to Toronto, played a Cirrus in Cambridge

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jester, Feb 5, 2005.

1. I found a Cirrus 5, bubinga and took my Stingray5 with me so I could play both through the same rig, an SWR 350X and a Mesa cabinet. I use an SWR350 and an Eden cabinet at church. I thought the Cirrus looked great, and I felt I could handle the 35" scale OK but I couldn't get tone I liked from the Cirrus. It seemed the MM just sounded richer. Everything was flat for both basses. The Cirrus sounded sort of thin and weak, but I'm sure it's a great bass based on the opinions around here. Was it the stock strings or the cabinet or what? I don't get it, and figure it must be me, but I was really disappointed and know that you Cirrus players here are getting much better tone than I did. :confused:

2. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Well, I'd say in general that the Cirrus has more of a "hi-fi" sound to it (especially the bubinga/walnut model) so I can see where you're coming from, but don't discount the effect that strings can have on tone. I have a Redwood/Alder Cirrus 5 that I can't say enough wonderful things about, but that's just me. Many people have compared the Cirrus sound to that of Ken Smith's basses.

- Ugly.

3. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Depends on what you like in tone, and of course, without playing that Cirrus, I couldn't tell you if it was really representing, or just in bad shape somehow (or just needed decent strings).

However, I will say this. The Cirrus doesn't sound as "heavy" or maybe "thick" to me as the MM does. It's a little more "hi-fi" and deep, is what I'd say. Personally, I like this, because while it's presence doesn't doesn't hit you in the face like a boxing glove, it's got a clarity and definition I just can't get enough of. I can always hear myself without having to turn up too loud, and I always feel like the tone is articulate.

No doubt about it... the MM's are also great basses... just read around here... but if you love the MM tone, as versatile as the Cirrus is, you won't get that tone from one, so it's understandable if you didn't really enjoy the Cirrus as much. Doesn't mean the Cirrus isn't a fantastic bass, just that it's not your tone. Nuthin' wrong with that at all. :)

4. Yeah, I wasn't trying to shoot down the Cirrus or anything, I'm genuinely interested in one. I had an Axcelerator a couple years ago and it sounded great. I think it had the same VLF pickups in it. You don't suppose there could have been something wrong with the Cirrus? I think it's only been on the shelf for a couple weeks.

5. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Yeah, I know you weren't slammin' the Cirrus. No prob, dude. Dunno, but if the action was great (which it should be... I've had 3 and the action could be set super low with no buzz on all of them), but just the tone was lame, I'd start with a set of strings. Cirrus strings are Nickel, and I really like'em, but they definitely don't last as long as, nor sound as bright as stainless steel, like my faves, the DR HiBeams. Also, I'd be a bit wary of the Mesa cab. It may be the source of an unwanted tonal adjustment from what you're used to. I have a couple of Eden cabs (210XLT's) and they are very rich cabs. They complement the Cirrus (and my other stuff) excellently. Would the dealer let you eval it over night?

All this said, however, dude, I'm not tryin' to push you into the Cirrus. If you dig the MM better, then it's the right one. I just recall the bummage I had after GASin' my first Cirrus away, and the pleasure I had after getting into them again. :) A Cirrus will always be in my arsenal from now on.

6. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Hey Jester, we must be neighbours. I'm in London as well.

7. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    I would bet you'd like a redwood or maple/alder cirrus a lot better. Much more closer to a fender or stingray sound. I don't like the bubinga cirrus one bit.

Troll

8. Well I was really thinking something was wrong with it. It sounded like the treble was boosted all the way and everything else was cut, this was while I had the EQ flat on it. Is that what the hi-fi sound is about?

I haven't had chance to try a maple one yet. I'm gonna keep my eye out for a maple.

9. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Wow, something was seriously jacked on it. Maybe the batteries were dead or dying?

10. Maybe, but they didn't have it in December when I was there, so I figured it was pretty new to the shelf. The salesguy said they only move 2 or 3 of them a year.

BTW, regarding the try out suggestion, they wouldn't rent it to me for a month because they'd have to sell it as used when I returned it. However, if I buy it I can return it within 30 days and as long as I haven't bashed the crap out of it they'll give me my money back!

Al

11. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    This is what Cirrus hi-fi sound is about:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126970&highlight=wankfunk

(Sorry SD, I couldn`t resist)

12. What does a cirrus cost in Toronto? I haven't seen any in Ottawa.

13. Price tag was $1850.00 in Cambridge at a Long & MacQuades.

Not sure how much wiggle room they had.

14. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Yeah that's not right. I find the bubingas quite dark and often bordering on muddy with too much pre eq dialed in. Sounds like something may be wrong. I wouldn't say 'flat' is really 'flat' with the pres, but shouldnt be tinny.

Troll

15. Chris, AFAIK, long and mcquade doesnt sell peavey... well here in ottawa atleast... try steves

b

16. I think the one in Cambridge is a realtively new L&M, they took over an existing music store, but he did tell me they were a Peavey dealer, at least that particular store.

17. Yeah I've been to Steve's. They said they don't carry Cirruses because they wouldn't be able to move them. Although they can order them.

18. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Maybe I misread here, but I had a Bubinga/Walnut Cirrus 5, and "muddy" is one term I could never associate with that bass. That thing was crisp and clear. :confused:

Anyway, yeah, if the batteries were in good shape, maybe there was something wrong with the preamp or maybe even the pickups.

To be honest, since the pickups are internally active on the Cirrus, the "preamps" are VERY simple (I've had it out and looked at it). Mostly caps, resistors, and like one small (assume op amp) chip. So it's hard to imagine something damaged unless it was just completely abused somehow. I hope it's just a battery issue, or just maybe horribly dead strings.

19. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Yeah, and I'll second the notion that SD's tone is a lot more representative of a Cirrus. Very bright, clear, and full (and that I like his playing as well :) ).