1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Got invited to my first jam session.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Back'N'Black, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Back'N'Black

Back'N'Black

Sep 25, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    I'm 45, a semi-pro piano player as a kid, I hated it. Quit at 16, fast forward... Didnt touch anything for many many years.

I got invited to a jam session by a lead, a total pro metal guitarist. My interest has been songwriting, off and on last 10? years, I suck at guitar, write riffs I play like crap, maybe I can pull bass off :bassist: Dont know what I'm doing, hey whatever.

I've never done anything like this, I dont know the rules. I've looked around here a lot, learned a lot. Sooo. What are the rules so that I dont make an a$$ out of myself?

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    When in doubt, under play.

3. rules? Have you ever played music with other people before? If you are just jamming, all you need to do is grab the chords off the guitarist and lock in with the drummer. Bass is easy ;D.

rules:
    1. Don't show up loaded or high on drugs.
    2. Since he plays metal, don't expect to hear the bass cut through the mix....roflolz
    3. Have fun

rule 3 is the most important IMO->IME->FWIW->YMMV

4. Earthquake

Earthquake

Dec 19, 2007
    SoCal
    Suck at guitar, maybe you can pull off bass? ? Hmm...

5. Back'N'Black

Back'N'Black

Sep 25, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Did that, made zero effort to sell myself. Oh you mean dont make him look bad, pfft. I'm safe.

6. Back'N'Black

Back'N'Black

Sep 25, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Sounds like I can handle that. With piano, in my situations as a kid, played with a lot of different people, I was more of the lead, I guess. Very different deal now. Never really jammed with a band as a bass player, I know I'm gonna suck, just trying to think of etticate. Not be one of those guys.

7. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    No, what I mean is, if you are unsure of what to play, hit the root note and keep going.

8. to the op: do you have a bass yet or are you borrowing one? have you ever held/played one? or are you coming straight from guitar?

mm.. of course you have to have a somewhat rudimentary knowledge of what notes are what on the fretboard otherwise no amount of "play the root" is gonna do any good.

9. *Insert palmface pic here*

10. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Bring a bottle of Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum as a gift~ I'm not kidding, it breaks the ice weather you drink it or not.

11. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    First jam with a "pro" metal guitarist?
    Trying to play bass instead of guitar?
    Never played bass?
    Played "lead" piano?

I think you are "one of those guys".

If you want to play bass, turn down the jam and start learning how and what to play.
    Then jam with some people on your level once you know "something" about bass playing.

Otherwise, IMO, don't just attempt to play to "play". Everyone will know you suck and probably won't invite you back.

You only get one chance at a first impression.