Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got it!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gabu, Jun 25, 2001.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    900 miles later... well then again, I came home too... 1800 miles later:

[​IMG]

It came with the casters (thank god), the footswitch (cool) and covers (way cool!)... I am stoked.

This thing's 18 definately meets my needs better than my Cyclops 15.

Alright everyone, party's at my house and the beer's on me!

2. Nice rig there, I just love how carvincs look, let alone their tone. I stop by their Santa Ana store frequently, its right on the way to church, so why not :D

3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Congratulations Gabu! And here I thought that I was the only guy who took the Carvin logos off of the cabs...

Have fun!

-robert

4. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Congrats !

(drool, drool ...)

And how does it sound compared to the Cyclop ?

(drool, drool ...)

5. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I like it better. The lows are felt more. The overall sound seems to have more body.

I turn my crossover all the way to 200 ... so alot of my bass signal is going to those 10s. The tube mix is set to 100%. I have my highs set to about 40% and my lows set to about 60% gain. My EQ is kind of shaped like a upsidedown V with each end starting on 0 and the 500 on 8. My Bass boost is on. Low, Mids and High tone controlls are set to 50% each. The compressor's thresh and ratio are both 50%. I don't use the noise gate.

I think it's not really a fair comparison:

2 8s vs 2 10s

1 15 vs 1 18

That's a lot more speaker power. Brand new, getting the RC210 and 1x18 set is only $200 more than getting the Cyclops. This is money well spent. You have better versatility, volume and tone too. What else is there? :D

6. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Looks like a pretty righteous rig you got there, Gab-meister.

Enjoy!

:D

7. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Welcome to the world of cod busting bottom. I love my 18's and i'm sure you will as well. Congrats on a fine rig.

Mike

8. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas
    Nice! I remember in the Random Thoughts forum when you said you were leaving. Now you're back (obviously) I like the rig man, it's pretty righteous (I haven't used that word in a while :D) Congrats on the accomplishment! :)

9. WOW!!!!

That is one bad mofo my freind!Well,nobody will "ignore the bassplayer" with that monster! :D
    Congrats Gabu!

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    OH MY GOD GABU! WHERE ARE YOUR BASSES PICKUPS, THE STRINGS, THE FRETS, THE NUT! OH MY GOD MAN! LOOK WHAT'S HAPPENED TO YOUR BASS IN ALL THE EXCITEMENT! GOOD LORD MAN!

11. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Mmmmm.......... shagadelic..... :D

12. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
  13. Nice Rig dude!
    Have you tried running the 18 alone?

14. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Good question. I have not. I will give that a go and report the results. :)

15. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    It seems that when I disconnect the 2 10s... and bridge the full signal into the 18 it sounds good, adds a bassy flavor to all the notes, high and low... kinda weird in a good way.

Put back the 10s, then it was more bassy. Sounds weird right? But it was. Kind of sepperated from all the notes though... like there was more bass, but it wasn't hanging on every note. I guess when you biamp the bass works better because the 18 concentrates soley on the lows?

The 18 definately was cool... I could see playing through 2 18s full range, if the total ohmage was 4 ohms of course. :D But, I definately like the 10s and 18 together the best.

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Congrats on your new rig, man. Does it sound as good as your recently refurbished one?

17. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Well... I think I will use the Carvin now for bass playing... My homebrew combo is going to be used for my guitar playing. :)

18. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    [​IMG] Professor G joins the Googa-Mooga club!

Back in the ancient times (before BP mag), there
    was a company (Community Light & Sound?) that
    used to advertise in GUITAR Player (there! I said it :p )
    They had a fiberglass(?) P.A. cab with two side-by-side
    drivers, and a large elliptical port along the bottom.
    The copy said somethin' like "Googa-Mooga Speaks!"

Ya' gotta' admit...a 2x10" atop a 1x18" has a certain
    'familiar' look. I got my SWR WM2x10T sittin' on a BigBen.
    When Googa-Mooga speaks, I could swear my dog levitates :eek:

19. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Your picture looks like you spend entirely too much time with your face directly in front of your new 18 cab!!! I thought at one point you were a former NASA astronaut who had been on just a few too many centrifuge rides. That's what bass in your face really can do to damage one's appearance!!

How do you handle room situations where there's a lotta echo and rumbling? Just cut the volume a bit on the lower cab, set your crossover to have even more go through the 210, or do you try to find the rumbling frequency and cut it on your eq? etc. etc.

With the two rigs I've had where I've tried crossing over I don't like the sound as much as running 4 10's full range as an example. But, I'm using EA 208's which are more like the Cyclops setup except much smaller and that sounds great to me and my fellow band members.

Your rig looks really COOL.

Small speaker dude,
    LKaye

20. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Thanks ladies and germs..... All I can say is that my house pets will never be the same! :D