Got it!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tsal, Jan 3, 2002.

1. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    This baby came home to me today. Finally, my two months of waiting is over and I got to see her for the first time. I had to have her darker sister to comfort me while I was waiting for her :eek:

(Yep, pic is from internet, I don't have any digicam or scanner currently.)
  2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    cool... MTD has a nice reputation around here
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Mmm! Saucey!

I have a K5 myself in a rich red/crimson color, with a rosewood fretboard. These are just about the sweetest basses for the money. Absolutely amazing B (Even when tuned down to A), great action, very decent Tone. With only one tone knob and one pickup, it's kinda a one trick pony, but I'll be damned if I don't really like that one trick! :D

Got mine from Gard, and couldn't be happier with it. They have a little neck dive, but nothing like a Warwicks neckdive.

Great Basses. Here's mine (Any excuse I get! :))
  4. heh you can always tell if its a kingston :D
  5. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Yeah. that is a nice bass. how does she play/feel/sound? I'm sure its good. :)
  6. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yep, she has great playability, looks and tone. I'll make couple tiny tweaks on action when my Feiten-capable tuner arrives next week and she should be all set.

For some reason, the neck feels bit different than on rosewood Kingston I tried, like it would be tiny bit more symmetrical and a tad less slippery. Perhaps they use different laquer on maple fretboard and the whole neck is coated with it as well.
    I like it better tho.
  7. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    congrats on the bass! i would like to check one out, but no one around here has any...

btw what is a feiten capable tuner?
  8. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    It's a tuner that understands Buzz Feiten Tuning System.

It's basicly a tuning system that makes bass sound more natural and even to human ear by having strings tuned bit off in certain formula. Like in piano tuning.

Not huge difference, but stock Kingstons are equipped with it, physical differences being some adjustments on first fret placing.
  9. im pretty sure only american mtd's have the buzz feiten system. but if you can prove me wrong.
  10. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Well, you can prove yourself wrong, next time you happen to see a Kingston or an Heir, take a peek on the backside of it's headstock.
  11. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    i think michael dimin (clinician for mtd) said somewhere that the newer kingstons have it too.
  12. lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Does the pickguard actually serve to cover up routing holes? or is it just for looks?
  13. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The p/g covers up the truss rod adjustment slot. Other than that, it's looks. The bass is rear-routed.
  14. Ooooo. LOVE that color. It simply LEECHES light.:D

Very nice. What did it set you back?

Rock on
  15. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Around $650, plus couple months wait for maple one. For some reason they are much more expensive in Europe. They had some problems with delivery, the shipment from factory was actually lost for some time :eek:

But now she's home, and she's worth it :D