Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

got it!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Sep 18, 2002.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    those UPS guys can be slippery, but all it takes is a fast car and a sharp eye.

:D :D :D :D :D

sound samples to come.

2. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Yes, sweetness.

Sounds clips soon, please.

3. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    the 6-string fretless huh?? have fun :). and get those clips ASAP please :D

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Cool beans Jason.

Dave...this is the second time, PLEASE tell me the Pirate Kitty's eyes move. I'd swear they do.

7. that cat is definately blinking, or i just read your post and started thinking about it myself and started hallucinating... either way they blink to me.

8. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    nope, you're just paranoid.

and paranoia is associated with narcissism.

it's not like pirate-kitty has nothing else better to do than to blink directly at YOU and watch YOUR every move and haunt YOUR nightmares! what an ego!

(and yes, that cat is winking...at me! ;) )

and, on topic, what did warwick5s get?

9. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    No*, whatcha talking aboot?

:)

*Yes, i made it blink every 5 seconds... :D

10. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, jason...glad to hear you got it, man...you are most welcome...and oh yeah....you suck

;)

11. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    [​IMG]

here's the pic i posted before, i don't have a digital camera so you'll have to wait to get the family shot.

i strung it with a set of DR hibeams and she SINGS. can get the gary willis/jaco bark or the smooth mwah easily, nice B string (of course), and i can actually play it 95% in tune with no fretlines! (i'm guessing my muscle memory is just really good after 10 years of playing electric.) that 6th string is pretty tricky though, i kept goofing up while sight reading stuff...

i think i might want to go to a lighter gauge of strings...or maybe sunbeams eventually...the SS hibeams @ 30-125 seem a little stiff for fretless but she sounds SO nice.

i'll get sound clips this weekend, and maybe take a webcam pic of my two babies ;)

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    If you dont mind me asking, approx. how much did that sweet bass set you back?

I dont even need to know where you got it, Im just curious because I know I would like to get one for any price!

Peace
    Nick

13. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    got it used off ebay for $960.

it's a 98, so it's got all the nice bits like a brass nut and 5 piece wenge neck.

it has a few more dings than were shown in the auction, most notable were the ones on the back of the neck, but they're on the treble side so you don't feel them when you're playing. and the volume pot is noisy and can still be turned past the "off" position :rolleyes: yay mec!

i wonder if i can find a used u-retro for cheap somewheres....

14. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Now i see the bass...

NICE

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    If you really arent pleased with the condition its in, Ill let you have my bass instead.

We can trade:

Good condition 2001 G&L L-2500 with frets! for a beat up 1998 Warwick Thumb without frets.

I know Im getting hosed on this deal, but I just want to make everyone happier.

Peace
    Nick

16. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    Jason,

nice bass ! This beast must weighs a ton. How's the balance so far ?

Are you sure the body is not ovangkol ? From the pics it doesn't look like bubinga.

Ari

17. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Jason

Some comments; all of which you are probably aware of both here goes anyway.

1 Sweet bass, I have the 4 string version
    2 If the vol pot is noisy it will probably die in the next 6-12 months and it will probably choose to do so in front of a lot of people:rolleyes:

18. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    nick man - LOL! i hope i didn't give the impression that i wasn't happy with this bass. i am VERY VERY happy with it and it's condition, and i still would have purchased it had i had pictures of the back of the neck - but still...

ari - yup, it's ovangkol, but it's some of the best looking ovangkol i've ever seen. it seems like the stuff now has really random looking grain and is more greenish in color, but this is almost like a dark brown zebrano wood in pattern. daddy likey. it's pretty heavy, and does neckdive just as badly as my old thumb did (but the body is a little bigger so i guess that counteracts the bigger neck) but i'm gonna call Gard when i get off work and order a comfort strapp for her :D

cs - i had a volume pot go noisy in my old thumb right before i sold it. and the volume pot in my ss2 is noisy but not too bad. now i don't mind the MEC pickups but the preamps blow. {bright idea} for now, i should pull all the electronics and wire it passive V-V-T with the pickups at 18v. {/bright idea}

19. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I personally dont mind the sound it's the reliability (personal experience).

You are going to have to get a U Retro (you know you want to).

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrats, Jason. That is a very nice looking Thumb.