Got Jackson 5 String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Claude, Dec 28, 2000.

1. Claude

Jul 31, 2000
    I've never seen the Jackson mentioned in this forum, but I wanted a 5 to toy with and got this one on clearance from Musician's Friend for $399. Played a few locally first, though. Sustain is adequate, set up was so so, volume pot scratchy and uneven; (I use a pedal anyway) but finish is quality (deep candy Blue - almost looks black at times ) The through-body bridge and passive volume-pan-tone controls are my preference; the nut will be replaced, but for the price, I'm getting my head straight for fingering a 5 (grab a D while staying in position; slide down from a low E for a little growl, etc) This is not a bass for a purist, but it is a down and dirty gigger; a comfortable player. If it gets destroyed ya' just run get another.

"If you want to change yourself, you need only look to your reactions."
  2. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Congrats on the new axe. You'll get hooked on the fiver.
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

"Jackson 5" - have you tried playing "I want you back"!!?? ;)
  4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    When I first made the switch from guitar to bass (about 3 years ago), I played a lot of the Jackson Concert series basses. I thought their playability was great. However, I also thought their electronics were lame. If Jackson would have put better pre-amps in their basses, a Jackson would have been my first bass.